Fuel tank locations

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

cssh

Fuel tank locations

Postby cssh » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:33 pm

Hello all from down under,
I'm in need of some tank positioning information for a monaco, if there are any experts available.
Im looking at routing the exhaust pipes on the inside of the rails and exiting closer to the centre.
This leaves me with a lot of extra space on the outside rear of the monaco.
What are the thoughts on running to long fuel tanks on ether side against the bottom.
My thought was to keep weight lower, but im unsure if is worth it. It also makes a handy storage area at the stern.
Thoughts and comments are appreciated.
chris

jenko

Re: Fuel tank locations

Postby jenko » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:17 am

not worth it ,In the riviera still was able to fit 100 litre tank even after moving rear cockpit back 100mm.
need to take in account ease of removal in both locations would more than double cost having two tanks ,plumbing ,filling problems.
I'm sure Tim Major and Alan Close will chime in advise you

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:19 am

Chris

I agree with Jenko. Just not worth it.

I have 2 tanks on the Bartender, no choice. Regs. require all fittings to be at or near the top of the tank. This makes a crossover line impractical. I have to have two fills. Fuel docks have long hoses. I can pull the hose across the cockpit. At regular gas stations, I have to fill one tank then turn the boat around to fill the other. I have a manual 3-way valve to select which tank. Now, I need to fix the gauges. When the dealer set up the engine, they crossed the wires. The port gauge reads the starboard tank, etc. It's an easy fix. Just more stuff to do.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

cssh

Postby cssh » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks for the help guys.
As it happens i make hoses and fittings so that side of it isn't an issue.
Is there an advantage in keeping weight lower in a hull, stability etc?
thanks
chris

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:06 pm

These boats are stable enough as designed.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:29 pm

You should still be able to put the exhaust inside the stringers. the tank will be on top of the stringers and the exhaust will pass under the tank. The hard part may be routing the exhaust from the outside of the engine around and over the stringers then down in between and around steering linkage etc.

Rich

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:36 pm

I agree with Jenko and Bill.

You may want to install your transom outlets away from the centerline :
Inboard Motor Installations wrote:On transom sterned boats, the outlet should be located well away from the centerline so that there will be less of a tendency for the fumes to come back abord the boat.

Source : Inboard Motor Installations by Glen L. Witt and Ken Hankinson, Page 173

Here are a few photos of Bruce Dow's Monaco build. Space is at a premium with the fuel tank mounted on top of the stringers and the rudder support directly beneath it. See more construction photos on his website.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Chris
As Bill stated twin tanks are impractical as they will need to be independent. You will need two fillers or at least a "Y" filler hose and a means of selecting each tank pickup as you will not have a balance pipe. Fuel imbalance could be a minor problem. Don't forget fuel return if your EFI engine requires that. All fittings and bosses have to come through the top of the tank as drains and bosses below the top are a No/No. 100 L is more than ample fuel capacity. I have 125L as the plans suggested, but have never filled the tank more than half. A full tank at cruise speed 30 knots will last me 10 hours ! If you have a tank made and it sits on the stringers make it no more the 11" high. Mine is 11.5" high and is a tight fit to get to connections. Also I used a reed switch sender unit that only come in 2" increment so I had to use a 10". The result is I have 30L in the tank before the float floats. Although the Monaco like most woodies sits nose down at low speed it does like the weight up front in cruise. Best performance is to load PAX from the front. There is heaps of space in the bow and each side of the engine if you close it off, as well as under the seats. I would not be loading behind the rear seat. Further to Ricks comments with exhaust between the stringers is there enough room for rudder control mechanism? Also you will need the full depth of the stringers to allow for a foot well for the rear seat.
ozzieboat

Return to “Power Boats”