Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: Rocky Mountain Monte Carlo

Postby Milhouse » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:28 pm

Beautiful!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

John56

Postby John56 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:10 pm

Looking good!!

Steven r

Postby Steven r » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:42 am

Hi
Very nice, I like the captain seats! What a good idea!
Please can you tell me the mesament from main stringers to deck where the engine fits?
Thanks Steve.

tysman52

Postby tysman52 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Steve-
Here are the measurements:
Aft end of engine compartment: 21” from top of stringer to the top of deck. 33” from the keel to the top of deck

Forward end: 23” and 36”

26” between stringers

My antifreeze overflow is a bit high so I may lower the whole engine another few inches or try and relocate the reservoir
Moving the engine down requires it to move further aft as well
which moves the tranny more into the foot space for the rear seat so give and take

JT

D8807E40-AAA9-451A-8A1A-BC1B8AC38A00.jpeg

A033C181-4D47-4AC7-8E36-67C8FB17368A.jpeg
D8807E40-AAA9-451A-8A1A-BC1B8AC38A00.jpeg

Steven r

Postby Steven r » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi JT,
Thank you for your reply, I have something in my mind and will have to do some more thinking how I can raise the sides?
Many thanks Steve. :lol:

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:10 pm

JT,

I am sorry that I just found your string for the Monte Carlo. I am building the Monaco (see " Monaco Restart" by Speedracer) which looks similar to your hull. Anyway, your build looks fantastic. The PCM engine I purchased didn't fit well. I had to go in and out six times I think, trimming each time to get it low enough. Even then I had to relocate the oil filter and expansion tank. I had always wanted to incorporate a scoop anyway but if I didn't use a hood scoop, the top of the engine would have been very, very close to the hatch. If I do another build (I know it sounds crazy) I would bring the sides up when making the frames. I would also lengthen the engine bay a few inches. The bay is just too tight in all respects.

Once again, your build is looking great. I will be following it from here forward. Looks like you started this year? Maybe that when you first started posting. Regardless, you are rocking it!
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

tysman52

Postby tysman52 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:14 pm

Thanks Chris...I checked out your Monaco...It is beautiful! Strong work...Already picked up a few tips from looking at your pics.
I actually started frames about 4 years ago and seriously put in time starting about 3 years ago...So I'm not moving as quickly as it looks, I just was a bit delayed in posting.
Since the flip this summer I feel like things are moving along at a quicker pace. At least each stage doesn't take as long.

The PCM folks told me that the 6.0L and 5.7 are basically the same size. I assume yours is the 5.7? I think Skip did the same one. Since the Monte is a bit bigger I think I should be able to shoehorn it in without too much damage lol...But certainly not an abundance of room. Length and width has plenty of wiggle room, Height is the limiting factor...

Keep us posted on your build, looking good! Nice to hear you are already thinking about a second build...For me that would require a second marriage...Not sure my wife could handle build #2! lol.

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 pm

JT, your boat is very nice, can't wait to see it finished. I put the PCM 5.7 engine in my Monaco and it was a tight fit but managed to get it all under the hatch. I moved the oil filter off the engine and mounted it on a bulkhead nearby, because the bracket it was mounted to stuck up above the deck. That was a minor change. I also moved the expansion tank because it also stuck up above the deck. It was also a relatively easy fix. I removed the tank and its mounting bracket off the engine and mounted them both to the bracket that the expansion tank mounts to. It involved a little re-plumbing, but nothing drastic. Putting the tank back there put it below the deck. Your 409 looks a little different than my 343 so it may not be possible to do what I did. Looking at your photos of your engine, you have some kind of fitting that points toward the rear of the engine. That might interfere with putting the expansion tank there. Best of luck getting it all to fit. You will love your engine. Skip
Attachments
expansion tank.jpg
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

tysman52

Postby tysman52 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:17 pm

Thanks for the pic and tips Skip. Glad to see that you were able to relocate the expansion tank. I will likely give that a try. I think I should have the room. Still may also lower the whole engine another few inches and that would solve it. So far I just have a very rough alignment until I track down a temporary drive shaft of some kind to do my alignment. Still not sure what I'm going to use for that...Not sure how your 5.7 is, but the fuel low pressure pump sits fairly far out and will limit how low I can recess it in between the stringers without notching. Thanks again Skip, your Monaco is a true masterpiece and I've referred to your thread often. Your SkipCraft looks more like a StanCraft, ChrisCraft or HackerCraft

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:41 pm

JT, thanks for the kind words! SkipCraft...I like it! I am not sure about your 409 and your motor stringer spacing, but in the Monaco the stringer spacing is 26" and I was able to fit the engine completely between the stringers without having to notch them. To get my engine to clear, I actually had to rout a small notch in the keel for the oil drain plug/hose fitting to clear. I couldn't get the engine any lower than that! I am still able to remove the housing for the low and high pressure fuel pumps with the engine that low. Hopefully you won't have to lower the engine as much as I did. I bought a 1" diameter aluminum bar (cheap) and a transmission coupler (not so cheap!) that I could set screw onto the aluminum bar to use as an engine alignment tool. It worked great. I have even heard of some using a shower curtain rod as an alignment bar, though I don't recall what diameter that was. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

tysman52

Postby tysman52 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks, I will track down an aluminum tube or shower rod lol. Also Starting to buy plumbing, fuel and exhaust parts so slowly coming together

tysman52

Postby tysman52 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:42 pm

Got the trailer back and the boat lifted on it. Happy with how it turned out...definitely a long trailer! Got my ski boat stored for the winter and left some room under it to keep my work progressing. Installed the rudder and steering this weekend. Exhaust, fuel lines and plumbing next.
JT
Attachments
AF7CEB0A-957F-4BE6-A437-C96BB4A705E5.jpeg
8760AA7F-593F-4BAC-9D7B-B40CEC161FCF.jpeg
FB3D013D-581D-40F7-8047-68E21F3107FB.png

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:36 am

Very nice.

I really like your boat storage situation. Looks like it's a ramp you drive it up and down? Is that light enough to do by hand? Or is that winched? I can't imagine how you'd do it with a tow vehicle unless you have very wide ramps or your tires for trailer and tow vehicle are set same width.
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

tysman52

Postby tysman52 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:58 pm

JoeM-
It is a hydraulic lift. Powered by 220v. I just back the trailer on and push a button to raise it up. Pretty slick. It is an actual boat lift instead of a car lift. It can raise as high as 12 feet and is long and wide to accept a boat trailer. 7000 lb capacity. I went with a Bendpack. I thought about installing myself but very worth the $750 I paid to have installed. Took 2 guys several days...with lots of heavy lifting and running cables.

Also got all of the hoses and other parts in the mail today... more projects
Attachments
6B7E4E9A-4B29-43F5-AFF3-F39BA1D3ABC8.jpeg
625FC31D-84A8-42DB-8B4D-FC7704E65D2E.jpeg
618546DD-1432-4F6F-9156-3F5931D34EB8.jpeg

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:59 am

Hydraulic, makes much more sense lol. Didn't see the rams and hoses in the first set of pics. Really like that setup.
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

Return to “Power Boats”