GERONIMO bumper rail

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

GERONIMO bumper rail

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Howdy, here's where I'm at on my Geronimo build. I've got the bumper rail and toe rail done and primed on the starboard side - took a lot longer than I thought but the port side should take less time - I plan on using the belt sander more and my sanding boards less. I used two laminations of 1/2 inch thick by 1 1/4 inch wide white oak for the bumper rail, and made the toe rail a little wider than the plans - 4 inches wide and net 1 inch thick african mahogany. I radiused all the edges with a pocket router.
You can see kind of a "hump" along the side of the rail - at least it's the same on the other side - if anyone notices I'll explain this is a "hogged sheer" boat ( :wink: ), but it's not too noticeable. I can say one thing about this part of the build - any "unfair" lines along the side planking or decking will be real obvious when you're putting on the bumper rail. Lots of time with the sanding boards and some quick-faire.
I plan on painting the bumper rail and toe rail the same platinum as the spray rail, then a white deck. It's really solid - I don't plan on adding SS trim as it will be a lot easier to repair a nick in the oak than replace a section of trim. I would like to get a nice piece of steel to cover the stem cap from the breasthook to the front of the skeg, though. Don't know if SS can be bent.
Next will be the hatch which I've already got framed in under the deck. Bob
Attachments
IMG_0894.JPG
first coat of primer
IMG_0898.JPG
IMG_0890.JPG
solid front bumper
Bob

joshuab

Re: GERONIMO bumper rail

Postby joshuab » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:35 pm

I want to move to where you are!!! Blue sky, palm trees, short sleeves......perfect, sign me up, your boat is looking great :!:
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:09 am

Bob

Looks great!

If you do need SS these are the people to go to. They make the stuff for everybody else. http://www.marineind.net/index.htm

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Looks great Bob. Thanks for paving the way for me!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Looking really good Bob.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Power Boats”