engine angle for Monaco

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

ian Reed

engine angle for Monaco

Postby ian Reed » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:11 am

I a building a Monaco and have the hull built and flipped up the right way now and am trying to purchase a 5.7l chevy in the UK with limited success. The guys are telling me that as they give a 2 year warranty on the engine they will not supply one that is going to be fitted at an angle of 15 degrees as per the Glen L plans. I have already purchased the 72C Velvet drive 1:1 gear box and bellhousing. Their concerns are a) with the oil pick up at the front of the engine it will be sucking air when accelerating with the oil pooling at the aft end of the sump and b) that the rear part of the crank will be hitting the oil in the sump and turning it to foam due to the angle. They have suggested using a ZF 63A gearbox at a 7 degree angle which allows the engine to lie closer to the horizontal. Is this a real problem and if so, how have previous builders got round the problem? Grateful for any help with this.

Bill Edmundson

Re: engine angle for Monaco

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:39 am

Ian

I have the ZF-63a 8* down w/1.23:1 ratio and use 16 pitch prop. I've also wondered about the oil with a straight drive. Most people who go with a 1:1 drive turn a 12 pitch prop. This is just to say that the 63a is not a problem if you go that way.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

ian Reed

Postby ian Reed » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks Bill, This was the option offered by a local gearbox salesman so good to have confirmation!
Regards, Ian

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Another option is the Velvet Drive Liberty A transmission. It is also 8 deg. down angle and can be had with a 1:1 drive ratio. I am using that in my Torpedo with a Crusader 5.7 MPI Captains Choice V8. I run a 13X13 4 blade OJ prop on 1" prop shaft. What engine are they quoting you? It seems odd that the sump is at the front of the engine. All the V8's I have seen have the deep part of the oil pan and pickup by the bell housing. That would keep the oil well over the pickup, especially at 15 degrees.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:41 pm

I would think finding a SBC with a front sump oil pan would not be easy. The oil pump and pickup drive off the distributor in the back. Early to mid 1960 Novas had front sumps, also some aftermarket setups, the pump is still in the back but with a tube that runs to the front for pickup.
My boat is the setup you describe, with the sump in the rear, going on 10 years without oil problems. Sometimes the angle can cause problems if it is carbureted. Some caburetors need to be leveled with a wedge for the floats to work right.

Rich

kens

Postby kens » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:50 pm

ian Reed wrote:I a building a Monaco and have the hull built and flipped up the right way now and am trying to purchase a 5.7l chevy in the UK with limited success. The guys are telling me that as they give a 2 year warranty on the engine they will not supply one that is going to be fitted at an angle of 15 degrees as per the Glen L plans. I have already purchased the 72C Velvet drive 1:1 gear box and bellhousing. Their concerns are a) with the oil pick up at the front of the engine it will be sucking air when accelerating with the oil pooling at the aft end of the sump and b) that the rear part of the crank will be hitting the oil in the sump and turning it to foam due to the angle. They have suggested using a ZF 63A gearbox at a 7 degree angle which allows the engine to lie closer to the horizontal. Is this a real problem and if so, how have previous builders got round the problem? Grateful for any help with this.

That doesn't make sense.
they are saying that the oil pickup is in the front, and the sump in the back.
the oil pickup should be down in the sump, be it in the front or the back, it should still be down in the sump.

question them on that........something here does not add up.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

ian Reed

Postby ian Reed » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:46 am

Thanks for the responses - may be my misunderstanding - The pick up for the oil is at the front, but sump probably aft as you say. The guy building up the engine worked at Aston Martin for around 20 years before building up boat engines so seems to be relatively competent with engines! Looking likely that I will go with the ZF 63A as he is happy if the angle is only around 7 degrees and will give a warranty with that. Probably would have been handy if this 'problem' was considered a bit more in the build plans as there is little guidance given and I had already bought a 72c Velvet drive transmission. roll on Ebay!

Return to “Power Boats”