Windshield material

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Hercdrvr

Windshield material

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:07 am

Got my $163 lake shore castings windshield brackets and got to work making them look pretty. Sheesh, talk about a rough casting, spent 2 hours on first piece with 80-400 grit sandpaper.

Question: Is it advisable to use Polycarbonate (Lexan) for the windshield?

Matt B
Attachments
IMG_2339.JPG

PeterG

Re: Windshield material

Postby PeterG » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:19 am

Bob Brandenstein and few others will chime in here, seems there have been problems with some plastics that developed crazing after a year or two. May be better in the long run to go with more expensive glass (tempered?) to get the higher durability - and can be cleaned easily without fear of scratches. Have you looked into power polishing your brackets? A dremel tool or other power tool with a polishing wheel/bit will take care of the brackets in short order. Contact a local motorcycle shop or antique car club to see who they recommend for plating companies, they will have the best methods for polishing.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:35 am

Matt

I used 1/4" tempered glass per Butch Barto's recommendation. He's in the glass business. Probably about $70 per side. Make a template fron 1/4" ply. keep the templates in case you ever do break one.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:40 pm

I would agree that tempered glass is probably the best material. However, you can't do it yourself (maybe Butch can).
Plexiglass is probably the cheapest, but it is flexible (don't grab it to stand up) and developed some crazing over time (It's been 5 years now). This is not really a problem as I am actually looking over the windshield when I drive.
Not sure if Lexan is any better.

Regarding polishing.. I took it to a plating shop and let them polish it (but not plated.) Then a bit of clear coat for aluminum wheels.

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 pm

Matt, both plexiglass and lexan will scratch easily. I used laminated glass (1/4" thick) for my windshield. I don't recall what the price difference was between laminated and tempered, so I can't tell you what is cheaper. I just didn't see the need to used tempered. If you drop anything on the edge of tempered glass it will explode into a thousand pieces, whereas laminated will just crack. I paid $90 each for my two windshields (16" x 36") on my Monaco. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:22 am

I had intended to use lexan for the windscreens in my Monaco. When I made inquiries about buying some I was told by the supplier that it is a poor choice for windscreens. It is a lot dearer, it scratches easier, will discolour and is not as stiff as acrylic. The only thing is has over acrylic is that it is tougher (for those who need a bullet proof windscreen on their boat) With acrylic you can cut it to size by yourself and a little trick I found to polish the edges is after you have shaped the radius with file and then 400 freecut paper you lightly run it lengthwise on a cloth polishing wheel. Comes up perfect. You can also buy acrylic called green edge so it looks like glass. There are several product available to keep acrylic clean and if used regularly polish out any scratches. Aircraft have always used acrylic and it works fine. To avoid scratches only use your hand and plenty of water to clean and then chamois it dry. I have no top frame on the windscreen and using 1/4" acrylic I am satisfied with the stiffness. Over three years I have no scratches and I have to contend with salt water residue all of the time.
Attachments
DSCF3844.JPG

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:47 am

I used laminated safety glass. I think it's better for the open frames. I wasn't sure if I wanted the glass to shatter.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

slug

Postby slug » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:12 am

Agree with Roberta on this one. I was concerned that the windshield on the Gentry will be used as a "handle" to get in to the constricted cockpit on this boat, so I went with tempered. When I wanted to make a mock up, I priced acrylic in 1/8". It was $45. I bought the 6mm. (1/4") tempered cut to shape and dressed for $84! No debate on this one.

Doug

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:00 am

How is the edge finish on the laminated glass versus the tempered glass?

I am considering open frames for my Vera Cruise and was originally thinking tempered. But I like the idea of using laminated for safety purposes.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

slug

Postby slug » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:04 am

Carl; Up here it is getting more and more difficult to get anyone to cut laminated glass.I guess it's a lost art! If done, they can smooth the edges for you (flat polish).

Doug

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Dittos what Doug said. My glass service polished the edges and knocked down the corners. They actually prefer using the laminated glass. The Zip was about 200 bucks and the Torpedo was about 300.

Roberta

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Carl

If you go tempered and you want a full canvas set, all holes must be done before the glass is tempered. Also you probably won't have the option of a removable windscreen with the free edge. I don't know about the laminated glass.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:36 pm

I think that is why my glass service preferred the laminated glass cause they didn't have to send it out to be tempered.

Roberta

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. It's good to know about the holes being made before tempering. It's still quite a ways off for me before I get around to the windscreen, but one option I am considering (instead of removable) is to make it foldable.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Ordered my tempered glass online from https://www.onedayglass.com
sent them a 1/4" plywood pattern and specified which edges to pencil polish. It's been a few years but it was around $150.

Rich

Return to “Power Boats”