Windshield material

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BayouBengal

Re: Windshield material

Postby BayouBengal » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:56 am

I'd viewed this thread back in April before ordering my windshields and decided to go with laminated glass over the tempered because of the safety issue with shattering. Yesterday, while a friend was boarding the boat, she held onto the edge of the glass windshield to steady herself and the glass broke. She told me that she really didn't put much pressure on it and I believe that to be true. Fortunately she was not cut. Also, while the glass didn't shatter (according to design), there was a lot of small glass fragments on the dash and floor, and fortunately: no one was cut or hurt by this either. FYI, the glass thickness is 1/4".

Cracked Windshield.jpg

In any event, I need to buy a new windshield and am now reconsidering my decision. On the drive home yesterday, I was honestly somewhat upset with myself for not using tempered glass in the first place and thinking job one is to now order some tempered glass panels. Now this morning, I'm leaning towards going back with laminated glass because no one was hurt, but redesigning both windshields so that they don't extend so far above the bracket edges, so would not break so easy with someone grabbing a hold of the glass. But if I do this, the glass would still be susceptible to breaking if someone exerted significant force between the brackets at the top.

Lastly, I'll say that the brackets are CC Riviera brackets and I tried to design the windshields to pretty much look like the CC Riviera. But in comparing pictures of a Riviera below, it looks like I could cut the glass so that it rapidly curves down to meet the brackets at the edges and am going to do this regardless of if I use tempered or laminated. And I'm thinking I should probably use the same glass as Chris Craft did. Does anyone know what they used?
Attachments
Riviera Windshield.jpg

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Sorry about your glass breaking. So far so good with tempered glass on the Malahini. I'm not really worried about the safety of tempered but more the mess it make if breaks. Laminated and tempered are both safety glass. From what I have read, tempered is 4 to 5 stronger than laminated.
My kids climb over the windshield to lay out on the bow. I've told them to be careful of the windshield, but they are kids. It gets grabbed and kicked.
Good luck,
Matt B
Attachments
IMG_2704.JPG

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:51 pm

One more thing about the glass and I'll put this topic to bed. I reluctantly had a slight green tint put on the glass. Thought it was a mistake when I picked up the glass but after it was mounted I like it, it's different but not too crazy.
So many ways we can make our boats unique. I enjoy following everyone's builds and seeing your ideas.
Matt B

Return to “Power Boats”