Vera Cruise or Monsoon

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Kgumby30

Vera Cruise or Monsoon

Postby Kgumby30 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:41 am

Hello everyone. I am preparing my garage to build a Bravado. Wanted a small efficient boat to fish and take the grandkids for rides. As I start, I'm already planning the next build in my head. Would like to have a cruiser for when I retire. I love the Monsoon and Vera Cruise. They seem about equal. Vera Cruise has a longer cabin, but is an I/O or outboard. Monsoon is an inboard with a larger cockpit. Must say that I am leaning towards the Monsoon,but not many have been built. Was wondering if you could way in with some pros & cons. Anything would be greatly appreciated.
Kevin

mrintense

Re: Vera Cruise or Monsoon

Postby mrintense » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:05 am

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum. I am building the Vera Cruise and also considered the Monsoon when I first started looking in to this. There are also some other slightly larger designs (Islander and and another which I cannot recall the name).

As for the Vera Cruise, I've decided that I am building my boat as a day cruiser rather than as originally designed. The original cabin design looks like it was intended to be something like a camper but with the low roof line and the heat out here in Texas, I felt like this was going to be uncomfortable most of the time. So instead my plan is to shorten the roof line and increase the aft cockpit area. I also am hoping to leave the aft cabin bulkhead off so that the boat is open from front to back. This should considerably add to the cooling.

I feel that the outboard design of the Vera Cruise is a plus since it doesn't take away too much cabin space. I found it difficult to find an inboard engine and I/O combination and keep the combined unit under the weight limit.

I cannot comment on the Monsoon directly, so anything I might have to say about that would be conjecture. One thing I have found out though and that is that a cabin cruiser design will definitely take longer to build.

Take the time to really think about your requirements for the retirement boat. If you plan to spend more than two days aboard the boat at a time, you might want to consider a bigger boat.

Overall, I like the Vera Cruise and I look forward to the day when she is finished. I am leaving berths in place so I can overnight on occasion, but there will be no galley. Any food will be served out of a ice cooler. I may add a BBQ on a pole later for the aft cabin.

Good luck with whatever you do and please post pictures. Also feel free to check out my blog (see link in my signature below). I have been photographing everything as I go because there is little in the way of references for the vera Cruise design.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 am

Kevin

I like them both. But, a couple of questions first.

1. Have you ever run an inboard boat with a single fixed prop? Reason: You can't just hand anybody the keys.

2. Inboards have more mechanical systems. Are you ready to do that?

Comment: The outboard will give you more cabin/cockpit arrangement options.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Cyclone

Postby Cyclone » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Another difference between these 2 boats are the methods of construction. The Vera Cruise has sheet plywood bottom planking while the Monsoon has a bottom made by 2 layers of diagonal strip plywood planking. The Monsoon has a reverse curve in the bottom at the bow, hence the need for the diagonal strip planking. Looking at the bills of material, it appears that the bottom of the Vera Cruise is 3/8" thick where the Monsoon has 2 layers of 3/8" thick plywood applied in diagonal strips (3/4" total thickness). Since the bottom of the Monsoon takes twice the material, and also that it is applied in 2 layers of strips, I think it would take longer to build due to the time spent fitting all those individual strips as compared applying one layer of sheet planking on the Vera Cruise. I also think the fairing of the hull at the bow for the reverse curve of the Monsoon would be more challenging. The information on the Vera Cruise says you can increase the length by 10% by increasing the spacing of the frames, so although the standard length of the Monsoon is longer than the standard length of the Vera Cruise, the Vera Cruise has the option to go longer.

I think that the point that Bill brings up about maneuverability is a very important consideration since the straight shaft boats with a rudder have very limited low speed maneuverability compared to an outboard.

Kgumby30

Postby Kgumby30 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:01 am

Thank for your input. The bottom planking on the Monsoon is something to think about. Although what a solid, strong bottom at 3/4" it would be. I do like the inboard for a cruiser (ie, cabin heat). I'll have to begrudgingly take my wife's advice and finish a project before I start planning the next. Have to see if my level of craftsmanship is up to the challenge of the Monsoon. I'll post some Bravado pictures as soon as I get started.
Thank you
Kevin

Return to “Power Boats”