Barrelbacked Overniter Build in UK

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

sproggy

Re: Barrelbacked Overniter Build in UK

Postby sproggy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:59 am

After many sleepless nights pondering boaty matters I have come to the conclusion that my Overniter project won't become reality.

I have been sailing for over 40 years, on and off - anything from 10' to 80' - and my wife has been making ever more frequent comments about me teaching our daughter to sail when she's older and I think, reading between the lines of those comments, that she would like to go sailing more herself. The reality is that there are far more places where I can sail (including our local lake, 3 minutes' drive from home - no motors allowed) than there are where I can use a boat with a motor, let alone a fast one anywhere near its full potential. Add to that the fact that an outboard-powered runabout was never what I dreamed of owning (I want an inboard), however much I tried to convince myself, and the writing was on the wall if I would only open my eyes - I need to build a sailing boat. Maybe one day I'll build the Barrelback that I really want - when we move away from London, as we plan to do longer-term, and find somewhere I can build a proper boat shed/workshop that gives me enough space.

As I said in a previous post, I don't just want to build a boat - I want to build a boat that I want. I know beauty and desirability are in the eye of the beholder but, with apologies to Glen-L after buying three sets of their plans, I'm going French and building a Vivier Ebihen 16 (http://www.vivierboats.com/en/product/ebihen-16-strip/) with a gaff sloop rig. I just love the look of this boat! Once I've laminated the oak frames (it has to be oak - I'd already ordered 55 bd ft for the Overniter!) I'll decide whether to strip plank in cedar for a painted finish or in mahogany (utile) for a bright finish. The Ebihen accommodates a little inboard-mounted outboard so I can still use it as a motor launch without the sailing rig on the Thames, on canals etc where it won't feel as limited by the 4mph speed limit as a planing hull with 50+ hp would. It's the right boat for us as a family.

I have been inspired on this forum by the quality of workmanship from amateur builders and hope, with the Ebihen, to produce something in the same ballpark quality-wise. It won't be a quick boat to build, but it should be a rewarding one. I regret not proceeding at this time with a Glen-L boat but I have no doubt I'll be coming back to one, whether it's a Hankinson design for me or a little runabout for my daughter when she's older.

Ian

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:31 am

Ian

You're still welcome here! This forum is about building.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:56 am

Ian: I second what Bill said. You are definitely welcome. We always like to see boats being built. Doesn't have to be a Glen-L as Bill can attest.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:04 am

Thank you both. If there is interest I'll post photos of my build on here - I wasn't sure whether it was frowned upon to do that. I know you're posting about your Bartender, Bill, but you've 'qualified' by building the Tahoe first :lol:

gap998

Postby gap998 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:16 pm

Gutted that you're not building the Overniter Sproggy - Was looking forward to that one!

I'm sure that even if the purchase of 3 sets of plans doesn't qualify you to post here :lol: , the methods & ideas you will share will be useful to other (more loyal :wink: :lol: ) builders of Glen-L designs.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Return to “Power Boats”