Another Cracker box in Michigan

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

babel710

Another Cracker box in Michigan

Postby babel710 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:40 am

Well, I've been thinking of building one of these for a couple years now and now I suppose it's time to pull the trigger. Sorry in advance for all the questions I'll have over the next couple of years :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0027.JPG
White oak for the frames
IMG_0031.JPG
One expensive pile of sawdust
IMG_0319.JPG
One down, 4 to go.

zip001

Re: Another Cracker box in Michigan

Postby zip001 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:09 pm

Don't be sorry for asking any questions. I have asked a lot and the advice and support has always been fantastic. I also have done a lot of searching on this forum. There is so much information here and learning to do a good search is key. In addition, I have found some pretty good personal blogs that I review from time to time if I feel I have a question or am getting stuck.

I am building a Malahini and other than all the sanding, it has been a slow blast.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

garrech

Postby garrech » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Nice looking kayak in the background! Look forward to watching your build.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Welcome. If you built that kayak, we'll be asking question of you!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

rleete

Postby rleete » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:11 am

I'd love to have some of that sawdust for my stitch & glue build!

Very nice looking gusset plates on that frame.

babel710

Postby babel710 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 am

Thanks for the kind words. Yes I did build the kayak in the back ground. It is the North Star from Laughing Loon. That was my first experience diving into the boat building world, what an experience. Fortunately I had a little help via the internet/e-mail with another builder, that was very helpful!! Much like I see this forum to be as well.
Here is another pic of it, along with a skin on frame I built for the wife.
(sorry for the crappy pic) :?
Attachments
yaks.jpg

babel710

Postby babel710 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Well, not to much to report this week. All of the frames are made just need to do some sanding to final size the gussets.
Instead of using the high price screws for the gussets I decided to try something different, not sure if I'll regret it or not, only time will tell I guess. Considering that it appeared that most people removed the screws after the epoxy had set, I decided to use narrow crown staples thru scrap cedar I had laying around. I made sure all my joints were nice and tight and used a thickened epoxy. I thought I had a good idea until it came time to remove the staples... not as easy as my test block was. :( . Oh well, a couple hours later and all the staples are removed.
Attachments
IMG_0033.JPG

babel710

Postby babel710 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Time to start laying out the cutouts on the frames.
Attachments
IMG_0034.JPG
Frames done.

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:05 am

Very nice work so far, I'll look forward to seeing how she turns out.

JasonG

Postby JasonG » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:32 am

babel710 wrote:Well, not to much to report this week. All of the frames are made just need to do some sanding to final size the gussets.
Instead of using the high price screws for the gussets I decided to try something different, not sure if I'll regret it or not, only time will tell I guess. Considering that it appeared that most people removed the screws after the epoxy had set, I decided to use narrow crown staples thru scrap cedar I had laying around. I made sure all my joints were nice and tight and used a thickened epoxy. I thought I had a good idea until it came time to remove the staples... not as easy as my test block was. :( . Oh well, a couple hours later and all the staples are removed.

In the future, if you want to pull staples again, just heat them up a bit and use a pair of pliers to pull them. The heat softens the epoxy enough to pull them out easily.

Jason

babel710

Postby babel710 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:38 am

To stretch or not stretch…….that is the question?!?! HELP

Well, I’m getting to the point where I need to make a decision or two. I’m planning on running with a 351 with the velvet drive, and I don’t know if I should stretch this thing or not. I believe that ‘OLDS COOL” did not stretch but he modified the transom to be rounded to allow room for the rudder. I’ve seen another build where this topic was brought up and there was quite the discussion with layouts/diagrams etc. I just don’t know what to do. I would prefer to not have the rudder assembly on the outside, but I have to say I’ve seen some that look really nice, (but would rather keep the transom clean). I have been contemplating adding 2” between each station and just dealing with the scarfing and making it work, but I don’t want to muck up the CB and have this thing behave like a bucking bronco . :cry: Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

Toopilot

Postby Toopilot » Wed May 03, 2017 5:58 am

I am ordering my plans this week and have been lurking about. Seems like you really need to stretch to get the velvet drive to fit. I am planning on stretching. Here is another one being built and he stretched his. Maybe drop him a line.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24132

Return to “Power Boats”