Malahini trailer

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Hercdrvr

Malahini trailer

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:43 pm

I found this galvanized trailer for only $200. What was a great bargain is turning out to be a fair amount of work. New bearings, seals, springs (one was broken), lights, bunks, tires,guide poles, I think that's about it. Don't know what a new trailer costs but into this one for about $500. Boat is about the max size the trailer can handle.

The tongue weight was too light so I shifted the axel aft about 18 inches. I didn't weigh the tongue but I have to grunt to lift it, it's probably close to the magic 10% of trailer on the tongue.

Mounted the lights up high out of the water. Maybe now the bulbs will last more than one season. The lights are a couple of feet forward from the back of the trailer, I hope it's legal this way. I didn't glue the piping together, used a screw at the joints so it can be disassembled if needed.
Matt B
Attachments
IMG_2510.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG

Hercdrvr

Re: Malahini trailer

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:58 pm

Figured it was kind of important to keep the axel perpendicular to the direction the trailer is traveling so I measured. Don't know what kind of of tolerances are required but I'm within a 1/16". If my new tires wear out in 500 miles ill get a little more serious with my measurements.
Matt B
Attachments
IMG_2502.JPG

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:42 am

I love your truck!

By UK standards $500 all in sounds pretty good and at least you know everything's sorted.

I think I'd be concerned about the bunks not extending back to the transom, though, particularly with that big motor hanging off it and unsupported. I'd want the transom supported by the bunks and something solid to fix a transom saver to. Maybe I'm just over-cautious....

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:25 am

Sproggy,
In the pictures the boat is not all the way forward to the bow stop. The bunks are even with the transom when the boat is against the bow stop.
Even having new bearings and the works I still carry an extra set in my truck. Having a bearing go out somewhere in west Texas is no fun. Been there before.
Matt B

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:39 am

Ah, right - I missed that it wasn't all the way forward.

As for bearing failure, I've been there too - motorcycle front wheel bearings (with 3k miles on them) disintegrated in one of the more remote parts of Spain, no cell signal. Not great. Met some interesting people as a result, though :wink: New is no guarantee of anything.

Ian

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:03 am

I just went out and looked, the bunks stop about 3 inches from the transom. IS THIS BAD? I could move the bow stop forward.
Matt B
Attachments
IMG_2511.JPG

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:18 am

If the bunks are directly under battens then you might be OK. But if you can move the bow stop forward to get the transom actually on the bunks I'd still do it.

Then you can move the wheels forward again to keep the right nose weight :)

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:12 am

Dittos on what Sproggy said.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:53 am

Matt,
I think, as Sproggy mentioned, you will want to have a transom saver to support the motor while trailering.
It looks like the trailer frame does not extend far enough back. Maybe some extension can be added for that purpose.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:05 am

Yes, a transom saver is very important to spread the weight of the motor between the trailer and the boat. Many transoms have been wrecked when a bouncing trailer and motor over-stressed the boat. A roller on the back of the trailer is also a good idea to guide the bow off the trailer and can be the spot to set the transom saver.

Roberta
Attachments
2014 vacation 104.JPG
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:47 am

Ditto on everything said above, lots of good advice. I learned a couple of them the hard way.

I bought a new trailer, it was right at a grand with tax so youre still about half of new.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 am

U-g-h-h-h, you do know we're going to need to see a few more pictures and hear some details about that truck, don't you? :?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 am

Interesting. My Yamaha 4 stroke says to trailer it in the down position.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:16 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:Interesting. My Yamaha 4 stroke says to trailer it in the down position.

Bill

Maybe that's something to do with engine oil draining into places it shouldn't be (past piston rings?) if towed tilted. Not an issue with 2-strokes.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am

Sproggy

I think you're right. Sometimes we have to be careful here and not mislead people. We all have to learn about our equipment.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”