Fuel Lines for Outboard

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Onplane

Fuel Lines for Outboard

Postby Onplane » Thu May 04, 2017 6:47 am

One more question for today :)

I have a 2001 Mercury 50 ELPTO 2 Stroke Outboard. It's been sitting for about 5 years now, with driveway start ups about 1 time a year.

Now that I'm close to actually being able to use it for you know... boating... I want to make sure it's good to go.

I plan on replacing the water pump impeller and cleaning the carbs. Never done either of those things, but thank god for youtube!

I also heard that it's probably a good idea to replace the fuel lines themselves since ethanol likes to eat the inner linings and I could put a bunch of time into cleaning the carbs and then just dirty them up again after reconnecting to the old fuel lines.

The fuel lines I'm referring to are daisy chained across the carbs. Red arrows pointing to them in the pic. They measure almost 3/8" O.D. with a set of calipers. I have not disconnected them yet to measure I.D.

So... looking on Crowley Marine and other websites... I can't seem to find a specific p/n for replacement, which leads me to wonder... is this just considered some sort of "standard" type part? And if so, how do you go about knowing what size to buy? Just measure OD and ID and order generic "Fuel Line?"

Any help on this would be great. Thanks!
Attachments
image1 (003).jpg
image1 (003).jpg (76.35 KiB) Viewed 565 times

rleete

Re: Fuel Lines for Outboard

Postby rleete » Thu May 04, 2017 7:15 am

Fuel line is fuel line. Go to the local auto parts store with one of the old ones, and they sell it by the foot.

ID is much more important than OD.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Thu May 04, 2017 9:37 am

Not all fuel line tubing is the same, some is made for low pressure system, some for high pressure, many for use with alcohol blended fuel, some not. Try http://www.boats.net or do a google search for Mercury outboard parts, use the serial number for your outboard and look at the parts lists/diagrams for the fuel line part numbers. Always good to buy the pre-made fuel lines with the correct fittings. The lines can be replaced when you do your carbs. You're right to be concerned about old fuel lines being cruddy. Good luck!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Thu May 04, 2017 2:20 pm

Get a set of plugs too. Ive learned outboards love clean plugs. Other than what youve mentioned the only other thing Ive had to replace was the fuel pump diapram. I also had a brand new primer bulb go bad after just a few months, sometimes its the simplest things, took me 3 trips to the lake to figure that one out.

Return to “Power Boats”