Just bought a 1964 lapstrake - where to begin?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

krusin1

Just bought a 1964 lapstrake - where to begin?

Postby krusin1 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Hello and thanks in advance for any help.

Just bought a 1964 Cruisers, Inc. lapstrake hull boat. It's 19' with a running, vintage 90 hp Johnson. All the parts are there.

The wood is all good, everything seems tight. Just need to finish refinishing some trim and putting it back on (wood windshield frames, etc.) The transom is good, the hull seems good, but with old, faded, slightly chipped paint.

It's been out of the water in a heated garage for some time.

I'll do the trim refinishing, but could use any advice you have about repainting the hull, sealing, etc.

I've done some woodwork, lots of rough construction, so I've got some ability, but this is my first wood boat. I'd love to get her out on the water, but want to dot all the i's and cross all the t's, first.

So.... where do I start, what do i use, whatever you can suggest. Thank you! krusin1 :D

JimmY

Re: Just bought a 1964 lapstrake - where to begin?

Postby JimmY » Fri May 05, 2017 9:27 am

Hi Krusin,

Choices in finishing and painting start with your work area, can you spray or will you roll and tip? Check out the painting forum and there is a good thread on different types of finishes and paints. There are water based, single part, 2 part, and on an on. Just be prepared for sticker shock since anything "marine" is going to be pricey.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “Power Boats”