Just ordered plans Cracker 15'

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Toopilot

Just ordered plans Cracker 15'

Postby Toopilot » Fri May 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Greetings all!,
Going to stretch this so I can fit a transmission and hope to launch middle of next year, probably smoking crack. The only way I can make this happen is with the combined help from all of you and digitizing the plans and having a little CNC carve some time off.
Tim

Mark-NJ

Re: Just ordered plans Cracker 15'

Postby Mark-NJ » Sat May 06, 2017 5:15 am

Not exactly "smoking crack", but if you're launching next year, it's time to get busy, fast.

If it's any barometer, I started cutting wood for my Ski-Tow March '16, and I'm working like mad to get it to Maine Aug 1, and might not make it. But I have a busy day job, so my time is limited......if you have the time, I suspect you can get it finished.

That said, don't rush. You'll regret it. Besides, is this about "owning" a boat or "building" a boat? If the latter, slow down and enjoy the journey! I know I've really enjoyed it, and I am beginning to wonder what I'll do with my time when this is finished! (wife has a list of home projects....I'm thinking "Build a 18' Lapstrake Catboat!")

Toopilot

Postby Toopilot » Sat May 06, 2017 9:20 pm

I am definitely looking forward to the build and am looking forward to making it my own much like I have seen so many others do on this forum. I have built a ton of furniture in my life and look at this boat to be the coolest piece of furniture. I'm also a car guy so I look forward to the engine, transmission, electrical, gauges etc...

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun May 07, 2017 5:11 am

Have you bought the Glen Witt book "Boatbuilding with Plywood" yet?

Unless you've done this before, it's a 'must have'; IMO the instructions that come with the plans are, by themselves, inadequate.

Toopilot

Postby Toopilot » Sun May 07, 2017 8:52 am

I bought, The New Cold-Molding Boat Building book. Almost done. Just ordered a book on fiber glassing wooden boats too.
Thanks for the advice and I am pumped to see the plans.
TK

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Sun May 07, 2017 8:55 am

Also the inboard installation book is very handy. Start to keep an eye out on eBay for your hardware things like windshield brackets can take awhile to find at the right price.
Best of luck.

Toopilot

Postby Toopilot » Mon May 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Have plans in hand, now the scary part, jumping into the deep end. Going to try and get then fed into a scanner this week! Then order wood. Sorry in advance for being a PITA
Tim
Attachments
plans.JPG

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue May 23, 2017 7:21 am

Are you scanning in the plans or the full size patterns? Double check your patterns against the plans first. I started my Malahini using the patterns and found they didn't quite match the plan dimensions on a few key areas. The patterns were reproduced slightly undersize, and the amount differed on each sheet. If it was consistently undersize, that's not really a problem. When I found that out, I neatly rolled them up and tucked them back in the mailing tube for safe keeping. I used the plan dimensions to "loft" or draw the frames full size on a piece of plywood and made my templates from that. I drew the stem and transom right on the plywood. The end result was I had to replace 6 of 8 frame sides and rework the remaining pieces to make them like the plans. Glad I caught that when I did, can cause unfairness of the chines and sheers.
Keep us up on your process and your build, you can be sure many others will find it helpful and feel free to ask questions!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Toopilot

Postby Toopilot » Tue May 23, 2017 12:53 pm

I only have one sheet and all frames are on the same sheet. We had another that scanned them in and had success. I will reach out to him to see if there was any differences between the patterns and the plans. Seems kind of you know what that the patterns were not true to the plans since you paid for them. I am pumped to start that is for sure!
Tim

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue May 23, 2017 7:12 pm

You have already slid down that slippery slope into boat building, you're there. Enjoy! It's lots of fun and the creative process will keep you occupied for months if not years.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Power Boats”