Merc 2 Stroke 2 Cycle Oil

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Onplane

Merc 2 Stroke 2 Cycle Oil

Postby Onplane » Thu May 18, 2017 11:20 am

All,

So my 2001 50hp ELPTO Mercury 2 Stroke has been sitting for about 6-7 years now unused, with the exception of an annual start up.

The upper reservoir tank has in it Mercury 2 Cycle Premium Plus Oil. I know this because this is what the guy who sold me the engine said he ran in it, and he gave me the remainder of the can. See the attached pic.

This can is 6-7 years old, so I want to buy a new can, dump as much as I can out of the reservoir tank and start a-fresh.

The problem is that I can't seem to find this oil online... Pretty much any Mercury "Premium Plus" 2 cycle oil is now "synthetic blend" from what I see.

I don't see anywhere on this can where it says "synthetic" so, I'm not sure if what I have in the tank now is synthetic, and if it isn't, I'm a bit concerned I can no longer get the non-synthetic version of the Mercury Premium Plus 2 cycle anymore.

Anyone know whether this is sold anymore? And if not, whether switching to synthetic would hurt anything if I can't get the old oil out completely?
Attachments
IMG_0587 (002).JPG

vupilot

Re: Merc 2 Stroke 2 Cycle Oil

Postby vupilot » Thu May 18, 2017 2:07 pm

I dont know the specific answer to your question but Ive always ran the 2 stroke Quicksilver branded premium plus oil in the grey bottle. Havent had any problems. I get it at Meijer or Menards which makes things easy.

BillW

Postby BillW » Thu May 18, 2017 4:51 pm

That one shown, with a red label, is non-synthetic. It does not specifically say that. They used to be black jug and are now grey.
I bought one recently from West Marine, about $40 for one gallon.

I bought the non-synthetic for break-in of an overhauled motor; inline-6 Merc.

Their synthetic specifically says "synthetic blend" on the label, with no red on the label, and grey jug.

I just went out to the shop to look, and verify this.

Use synthetic only after break-in, if that is applicable.

Bill

Onplane

Postby Onplane » Fri May 19, 2017 5:42 am

Thanks for the replies.

Bill, I will take your recommendation. However, what is the benefit of using non-synthetic in the break in period? Just curious...

Thanks!

rleete

Postby rleete » Fri May 19, 2017 5:55 am

Mostly one of cost; because for break in, you are going to change it much sooner. Nearly all oils specifically labeled for break in are conventional.

Synthetic oils compared to conventional oils have one distinct advantage, and that is to run it for longer periods between changes. They do not have many practical differences, using pretty much the same additives these days. Oils are quite a bit different than they were even 25 years ago.

BTW, black oil used to be a sign that it needed to be changed. Now days, oils will blacken within 3-4 hundred miles. That is because the additives are specifically designed to capture the carbon and keep it in suspension.

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri May 19, 2017 6:21 am

rleete wrote:Mostly one of cost; because for break in, you are going to change it much sooner. Nearly all oils specifically labeled for break in are conventional.

Synthetic oils compared to conventional oils have one distinct advantage, and that is to run it for longer periods between changes. They do not have many practical differences, using pretty much the same additives these days. Oils are quite a bit different than they were even 25 years ago.

BTW, black oil used to be a sign that it needed to be changed. Now days, oils will blacken within 3-4 hundred miles. That is because the additives are specifically designed to capture the carbon and keep it in suspension.

All of your comments relate to 4-stroke engine oil. This is 2-stroke oil that gets burned with the fuel - it doesn't get changed, turn black or 'run for longer'.

In 2-strokes I believe mineral oil is used during break-in solely because it's less effective than synthetic and therefore allows things to bed in (wear) more quickly.

In any 2-stroke engine, run the best oil that you can find/afford. IN older engines it'll probably be far better than what was around when the engine was designed but that's a good thing, not something to be concerned about! I run fully synthetic oil in my '67 Lambretta - best thing I can do to keep it happy and stop it seizing, even though it didn't exist back in the 60s.

There'll be no issues with mixing mineral with synthetic or part-synthetic in the tank as long as what's in there now is still good.

rleete

Postby rleete » Fri May 19, 2017 7:08 am

sproggy wrote: All of your comments relate to 4-stroke engine oil. This is 2-stroke oil that gets burned with the fuel - it doesn't get changed, turn black or 'run for longer'.

You are absolutely correct. My mistake for lack of reading comprehension. (car forum guy, I don't know much about 2 strokes).

BillW

Postby BillW » Fri May 19, 2017 7:15 am

Yes, Sproggy is correct.

Synthetic is generally not used for initial break-in because it is so slick that the rings may not wear in very well.

After break-in, either type is usually considered fine, for general use.
Bill

Onplane

Postby Onplane » Fri May 19, 2017 10:37 am

Awesome, thanks for the replies.

Love to work wood, but don't know a whole lot about engines... just hoping I can do my regular maintenance items and keep it going for as long as possible :)

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri May 19, 2017 3:30 pm

My parents bought a boat in the early '70s. It had 1963 75hp Evinrude 2 stroke. It use a 24:1 oil mix. It was just non-detergent 30w oil. One qt. in the 6 gal. tanks.

That doesn't matter here. Just a trip down memory lane.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gap998

Postby gap998 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:42 am

sproggy wrote: I run fully synthetic oil in my '67 Lambretta

So... A 60s Mod or '79 revivalist? :lol: :wink:
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Wed May 24, 2017 11:57 am

gap998 wrote:So... A 60s Mod or '79 revivalist? :lol: :wink:

Neither! Italian wife and a leaning towards all things Italian (cars, food, scooters, wine, boats......). My love of Lambrettas comes from seeing them on the streets of Italy before the scrappage laws/incentives sent them all to the crusher.......or to Northern Europe. Mine looks just like it would have done in the 60s (maybe better) but goes a whole lot faster 8)

gap998

Postby gap998 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:04 pm

I promise I wont wreck the thread any further but my first car was a Fiat Strada - loved it, but it does go to show even the Italians have design off days! :lol:
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Thu May 25, 2017 12:50 am

I always fancied a Strada 130 TC when they were as cheap as chips. But they fell apart, rusted away and cost a load to insure when I was that young so it never happened. I'm not sure I agree about it being a design failure - perhaps a design that was ahead of its time and better appreciated now?

I've had Fiat 126, 127, 131, Bravo and Multipla. Alfa 33, GTV6 and 156 and a Lancia Montecarlo. Of them all, I wish I'd kept the GTV6 but it was a money-pit that I couldn't afford to keep spending on at the time. Or putting fuel in. It also, to keep it relevant to the thread (!), burned more oil than a 2-stroke until I put a new engine in it :shock:

Don't get me started on the Italian bikes I've owned.....

Return to “Power Boats”