GERONIMO's progress & questions

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

GERONIMO's progress & questions

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri May 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Howdy folks, here's where I'm at on my Geronimo. I just finished the hatch and now I'm working on the coamings. They and the dash will be finished bright, rest of the boat paint. I set the coamings 1 1/2 inch below the carling to be in line with the dash, also that will conceal the tops of the side walls when I put them up.
In between coats of varnish I want to put pour-in-place foam in the v-berth area. I've not used this before and would like to know if this makes sense - I was thinking of putting a plywood wall ("dam") as high as the green tape in the picture. Since the boat's level, couldn't I just pour the liquid foam into this void and let it fill up to the top of the dam? Is the mixed foam liquid enough to seek its own level, thus leaving a flat surface (I'll cover it with 3/8 ply)? If I pour the liquid foam to the level of the top of the wall, will it expand above that level? If it does expand too much, could I pour it in "layers" to approach the correct level - i.e., can you let it cure and add successive layers?
I appreciate your comments - I bet it's harder to do than it looks!
Thanks, Bob
Attachments
IMG_0986.JPG
area to fill with foam to level of tape
IMG_0971.JPG
will be using windshield brackets
IMG_0969.JPG
simple hatch
Bob

chugalug

Re: GERONIMO's progress & questions

Postby chugalug » Fri May 19, 2017 8:46 pm

:D That's what I did for chug however putting in some plastic(Plastic garbage bag opened up) first might help if you want to remove it later.the foam is some really sticky stuff(I got the 2 part mix from Glen-L)That little vibrating saw really works good for trimming foam
IMG_0766[2].JPG
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Sat May 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks chug. Yeah I think lining it with plastic is good - not that I'll remove it but if I ever get a hole in the hull it will be easier to patch from the outside. bob
Bob

rleete

Postby rleete » Tue May 23, 2017 12:41 pm

Foam is tricky stuff. You're better off pouring smaller batches in layers - it will stick to itself quite well -and then you can control where it goes easier.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue May 23, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks. I got my foam today and hopefully will start filling the v-berth area in 2 days. Yes - a little bit at a time sounds like the way to go.
bob
Bob

Return to “Power Boats”