Malahini Dash Positioning question

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

zip001

Malahini Dash Positioning question

Postby zip001 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:01 pm

Got a quick question for you previous or current Malahini builders.
I am dry fitting my deck battens and strong back into place. I did a test sit (roughly) and determined that a dash placement of 19 inches from frame 4 to the face of my dash seemed to fit me about right. As best I can read the plans it seems the dash is placed about 23 inches from frame 4.

Any pointers or anything I am over looking. Is it purely a matter of preference. I am a big guy with long legs but that seems to fit me pretty well. I was also thinking I would have a level floor from the rear seat to frame 3 then from frame 3 to frame 4, basically where your feet and legs are while sitting, I was going to do a slat floor and follow the natural contour of the floor right on top of the battens. Basically like the floor in gd"s Zip. I have seen his floor in person and it looks really nice and provides more usable room. I am pondering how that would look.

Any pointers on dash placement and my floor idea would be appreciated before I commit.

Mike
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

Hercdrvr

Re: Malahini Dash Positioning question

Postby Hercdrvr » Sat May 20, 2017 9:49 pm

I pondered all this at length too. My dash is about 8" forward of frame #3. It's a compromise of interior room and a long beatitiful bow. Lots of leg room forward with my setup.

My seat is not adjustable so the distance from steering wheel to seat fits me but a it's a stretch for my wife.

I determined the dash angle by the tilt setting on my pickup, didn't want the steering wheel between my legs.

In summary, there's no right answer, it's whatever is comfortable for you.
Matt B

Oh, post some pics. We all love pics
Attachments
IMG_2620.JPG
IMG_2324.JPG
IMG_2136.JPG

zip001

Postby zip001 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:58 am

Thanks Hercdrvr, I kind of thought that was the right answer, just didn't want to miss a weight and balance or performance issue that I just couldn't see yet. Your dash looks great and I love your wheel. I have planned cream colored seats with blue piping very similar to your design. I really like that look. Thanks for your insight.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Mon May 22, 2017 7:23 am

The back of my dash is 18.5" from frame #4. It is tilted at a 12 degree angle.
Because I built a deck bridge to separate the front and rear seats, I probably moved the dash a bit forward to get two comfortable seating areas.
There is no right answer, just, whatever works for you.

Your floor idea should also work if there are slats to distribute your weight when standing. I can see how it would give you more legroom. Mine is flat.

Return to “Power Boats”