Malahini performance

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Hercdrvr

Re: Malahini performance

Post by Hercdrvr »

Installed the larger trim tabs closer to the chine. The trim out job on the Teak swim step turned out better than I thought it would. Lake test tomorrow.
Matt B
Attachments
F8067B15-9DE0-47D8-862E-60ECA2332643.jpeg
751A981A-5F5F-489F-B68B-76CAA02135CF.jpeg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Good results with new trim tabs. I’m going to tweak it one more time by using the cylinders off the small trim tabs on the larger tabs. These tabs have lots of lift and I think they are slowing down my top speed.
I had 5 kids on a huge tube in this picture, the boat is squatted in the water pulling all that drag.
Matt B
Attachments
Pulling 5 kids on a giant tube
Pulling 5 kids on a giant tube

footer

Post by footer »

I put trim tabs on my Malahini because it had a lousy hole shot and porpoised bad.
I don’t think it really changed my top end, but I do get a little more center spray. I mounted them towards the chine too.
What a difference in take off and NO more porpoising.
Attachments
40C51913-252C-4EB9-8F3E-B26E00745DB9.jpeg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

footer wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:50 am
I put trim tabs on my Malahini because it had a lousy hole shot and porpoised bad.
I don’t think it really changed my top end, but I do get a little more center spray. I mounted them towards the chine too.
What a difference in take off and NO more porpoising.
Malahini with a 90hp and trim tabs pops on plane before the throttle is even down. Same as you, The center spray right in the face of the skier is what I’m working on fixing. By adjusting the downward force on the tabs it moves where the spray is.
I know where this is going, fully adjustable tabs from the helm.
Matt B

footer

Post by footer »

Wouldn’t that be sweet, Matt.
My 12 year old granddaughter was complaining about the spray, so we put a ball in the middle of the tow rope. That stopped most of it.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Matt, at the rate you're building, you'll be able to open a boat rental business!! I love it that you have this much ambition and energy. It's great to see that kind of drive in people.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Final trim tab results. The large tabs with the spring tension from the small tabs is the answer. Makes sense, a plywood boat is relatively light weight for its length compared to a fiberglass boat. The wake is fine now. We don’t use much fuel skiing because I’m only good for 3 pulls.
Matt B
Attachments
AC96A3A9-987B-40B1-A3CE-5F79B484B072.jpeg
A67366EA-D362-41A8-B7EB-EF36885B7417.jpeg

billy c

Post by billy c »

Matt-
That performance improvement with the tabs was a good one for the boat. I think your comment for adjustable tabs from the helm is the complete answer, as you can get rid of the bow down attitude when you are running at top end or after the skier is up.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Power Boats”