Geronimo's cockpit floor/foam job

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

Geronimo's cockpit floor/foam job

Postby bobinpowayca » Sat May 27, 2017 8:14 pm

Howdy, I'm getting ready to build Geronimo's (her name will be Agatha) floor and have a question - Matt if you see this you may know. By the way, I hope you and your family are getting settled into you new home in Indiana and you can get back to work on the boat! I went to school in southern Illinois and I like that area. I'd like to travel some rivers. Especially the Mississippi, we traveled the "Great River Road" the scenic byway that goes along the Mississippi from Louisiana to the headwaters in Minnesota on our motorcycle in 2000 and it'd be really cool to do that in a boat.
What I'm wondering is, on the set-up level of the frames, why is the one frame (#4) two inches lower than the rest? When the boat was on the building form, the plans said to put a 2" cleat under frame 4. Thus when the boat is flipped the floor will lay flat upon all the frame bottoms except it's 2 inches above frame 4. I show it in the attached picture where the piece of green tape hangs down. Just wondering. I plant to put a cleat back on to support the length of the floor. I must be missing something here?
Also, altho for most I'm preaching to the choir, is a picture of my foam-in-place progress. I just laid the plywood in the frame, I didn't bother gluing or screwing it in since I don't plan on removing it, the urethane foam is adhesive enough I figure if you completely fill the voids. I just put a weight on in while the foam expanded so the board wouldn't lift. To me what's good about the foam here, besides the buoyancy, is that if I should ever slam into a sharp rock, it'll just be a big divit in the hull, and not the ocean pouring in :wink: I use a well worn cement trowel to shape the cured foam, it's like a big razor blade with a handle and goes right thru it. Bob
Attachments
IMG_1002.JPG
this is about 1 gal total liquid foam
IMG_0992.JPG
razor sharp trowel easily levels cured foam
IMG_0990.JPG
frame 4's floor 2" lower than the rest
Bob

mrintense

Re: Geronimo's cockpit floor/foam job

Postby mrintense » Sat May 27, 2017 9:13 pm

Bob,

The Geronimo and the Sea Knight share the same hull, which is also similar to the Vera Cruise that I am building. The floor is lower in my design (and I suspect the Sea Knight as well) so that there is a bit more head room in the cabin. Since your boat is the same as the Sea Knight, I suspect that it's just a result of that design decision.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun May 28, 2017 8:11 pm

Bob, with regards to frame four. I have no idea why frame four is two inches below the setup level. I thought it would make sense eventually but it really doesn't. I have already made a piece to shim it up to the setup level. I suspect Carl may be on to something with his comment about headroom in the cabin for the sea knight hull.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue May 30, 2017 9:18 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes Carl, I believe you're right. I recall a while back learning that the Geronimo and Sea Knight share a lot of the hull patterns. What puzzled me was that in the Geronimo instructions it says "At frame #4 a temporary frame blocking is used on top of the floor timber height to obtain the correct level. This is removed when the boat is planked and righted". Oh well it's obviously a mix up. I'm adding the cleat back to the set up level at frame 4, that makes sense..
Originally my intent was to build the plywood seats and have custom vinyl upholstered seats with the "V" pattern backs ala 56 Chevy. But after over four years it's truly at the point where I need to finish it while I can still use it :) . I'm thinking a flat sole on the set-up level and then buying some quality seats - like twin back-to-back seats up front, and two single forward facing seats at the bulkhead. Anyone have any suggestions? Hopefully they'll be available with bases that when mounted to the deck (set up level) the seating position will be approximately correct. That's another thing about the 2" lower timber at frame 4, I was thinking you needed deeper legroom or something :oops: Bob
Bob

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed May 31, 2017 2:20 am

Bob,

I am going through this same thought process of getting the boat done while I can use it. However, I believe it pays to spend some serious thinking time on the seating and such. No sense in "painting yourself into a corner" just for the sake of expediency. One thing for sure, determine what seating height, back angle, and the like is comfortable to you before you proceed.

So far in my build, I have mocked up two floor approaches and three seating ideas. I've determined that for me, a 17 to 18 inch seat height is about right. Easy to sit into, easy to get up from, and I don't have my knees around my ears.

I've seen quite a variety of seats available from many sources. They range from the back to back like you mentioned to pedestal style, folding seats, and full blown upholstered couches. What I've elected to do is build the seats the way I want them and then cover them with cheap lawn furniture cushions initially until I can get around to the nicer upholstery. This way I can use the boat sooner. I suspect that it will take me another 5 years to complete the boat to it's final form. But I hope to have it usable within about 18 months.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:23 pm

Bob, I'm doing two swivel seats in the front that I have made. I will just need to purchase pedestals. And I am doing a bench seat at the bulkhead. This should leave about four feet of open cockpit space in my boat between front and back seats since I stretched 1 foot. My bulkhead will be at frame 1 to allow enough room for the fuel tank.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:57 am

Hi Matt,
I'm doing my bulkhead at frame #1 too. If you go by the info sheet from glen-l on transom motorwell dimensions you need at least 25" well depth anyway for a 90 horse motor. I think all the way to frame 1 is about 27".
I'm making my motor well just a little bigger than the suggested dimensions because when I take it to the evinrude dealer for mounting I want enough room, don't want them to take a sawzall to it to make it fit. I'm trying to get some drawings with dimensions from evinrude but no luck so far. Looks like Oliver's rides are competing with your boat for garage space... Bob
Bob

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:00 am

Bob:

For profile drawings of an Evinrude go to https://www.evinrude.com. Go to shopping tools/online store. Then go to parts. There is a drop down list. Select what you need and open. Somewhere in the next list will be a profile drawing. I don't think the 90 hp has changed in some years, so you could use 2012 for current drawing.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Return to “Power Boats”