Torpedo reboot

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mlavimodiere

Torpedo reboot

Postby mlavimodiere » Sun May 28, 2017 9:27 am

Ok so the torpedo build is back on after being shelved for almost 4 years ... But with a twist... Sort of.
First I would like the alternative cockpit design stretched out just enough for two bucket seats and a back bench.. Not so bad. Just need to stretch her out a bit.. I know the harpin will need some tweaking .
The next and why I'm writing this post is I wish to to move the rudder outboard and slide the prop location further back this will allow me a lower shaft angle and help tuck the motor below deck
Oh! :mrgreen: here is a link to my inspiration
http://www.vandamboats.com/catnip?tiles=hide
Yes she is 30'
My plan is for closer to 21'
So what are the pros and cons? And what would be the new ideal prop location?

Denon Osterman

Re: Torpedo reboot

Postby Denon Osterman » Mon May 29, 2017 8:54 am

Pros: you get a gorgeous looking, one of a kind boat that will make everyone jealous!

Cons: It'll be a lot more work in terms of the redesign, and there's no guarantee it will actually look that good once it all comes together.

Speaking slightly from experience, I modified the Rampage to be longer, deeper, a bit wider (so I could fit in a second row of seats and take Muskoka's waves a bit better). I lengthened it the full 10% - which is easy - and raised / widened it ~4" and 8" respectively. Doing even that minor amount meant messing with the sheer line quite a bit, and it took weeks and weeks of going through things in my head to get it all to work. Once the boat was done, I was pretty lucky that with some heavy fairing, it looks pretty good...I also got a set back jet pump to push the engine back as far as possible. Despite all of that, the extra ~3-4 feet I've given myself of interior space might still not be enough to really get both benches in, and now I'm sort of wishing I'd just made a much longer deck with two seats near the rear. Hopefully it all works out either way.

TL;DR - Its extra work for a hopeful reward, but I agree it's quite an inspiring boat you'd end up with if you pull it off!

mlavimodiere

Postby mlavimodiere » Mon May 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Thank you!
Any technical advise as to prop location?

Denon Osterman

Postby Denon Osterman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 pm

Hey, sorry for the late reply...I've been MIA for quite a while but should be getting better!

Unfortunately I don't actually know much about inboard / v drives...I've only ever done jets and outboards.

That being said - and someone please correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think there'd be anything wrong with putting it right near the transom. Keep in mind a lot of equipment like v drives, struts for the prop shaft, etc only come in certain angles. So I'd say whichever angle is the shallowest that the hardware will allow, all while keeping the prop forward of the transom by a few inches...if that makes sense?

Otherwise I think you'd be good to go - and personally, I think the idea of having some beautiful rudder hanging off the back, with a shallow angle prop, would make for a beautiful boat :D

Return to “Power Boats”