Post Flip Mahalini Questions

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

zip001

Post Flip Mahalini Questions

Postby zip001 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:48 pm

I don't think my questions are specific to just the malahini so any informed responses would certainly be appreciated.

I am not sure why I forgot the inboard limbers on frame 4 next to the stem but if they are supposed to be there I must have forgot. Maybe I missed them but I didn't see them on the plans but it sure seems they should be there. Should I drill them out (with great care:)) That is the first picture below.

the second question and the second photo is the same location on frame 4 on the stem side. There is about a 1/4 inch gap between the bottom of the frame and the ply for about 1/2 the width of frame 4. This is due to my inadequate fairing job most likely. Should I mix up some thickened epoxy to fill this gap or is it Ok as it is? It is epoxy coated so it is sealed just wondering about the support for the bottom. I am thinking I would fill it but if others think it is overkill or a waste of time I certainly have other items to work on.
Attachments
missinglimber.JPG
slight gap.JPG
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

DrBryanJ

Re: Post Flip Mahalini Questions

Postby DrBryanJ » Sun May 28, 2017 3:57 pm

I think the limbers are needed or water will collect forward of frame four. I don't know the best way of cutting them in now, but know others have had to add limbers after flipping, so I know it is possible.

As far as gap, I would fill it with thickened epoxy.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

zip001

Postby zip001 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:25 pm

I appreciate the feedback. I think I will do the thickened epoxy tomorrow. I have been studying but I think I can drill out a smaller than desired hole for the limber and then use a dremmel took to slowly shape as desired. Thank you
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun May 28, 2017 4:30 pm

I think you're okay not having the weep hole. Based on all the pictures I've seen of Malahini's in the water, I just don't see any significant water gathering there. But if you want to drill the holes go ahead, just don't try to be too aggressive and get into the planking.

Definitely fill all gaps, crevices, unused screw holes, etc. with thickened epoxy.

kens

Postby kens » Sun May 28, 2017 6:30 pm

I saw the same thing on my Double Eagle, when I flipped it.
I got down in there with a drill, angle grinder, Dotco, and assorted tools to open up the same limbers.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun May 28, 2017 7:25 pm

Wait a sec, isn't one problem solving the other? The gap between the frame and planking looks like a well planned limber to drain water to me.

Seriously though, I don't think either is a big deal. Water doesn't get in the stem area forward of #4, it's too far under the bow. If anything, not having limbers up there will prevent water from getting in.
Sure, glob some thickened epoxy in the gap, make it thick though or it will just run out.

I'm teaching my kids to shake off in the motorwell when they climb in to keep the water out.

Good luck,
Matt B

zip001

Postby zip001 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:44 am

Thank you all. I was able to drill the holes out last night. Undersized at first then I shaped and cleaned up with a dremmel. Looks like they were there all along now. I am doing some coating of the inside panels today and doing a few touch up filets to make sure there are not gaps. More photos to come. Thanks again.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon May 29, 2017 7:28 am

I'm a little late to this particular thread, but I concur that filling the gap on the batten frame joint is a good idea. And as you have apparently already found out, it is possible to get in there and add the limbers. When I was cleaning up the interior of my hull, I had to come up with all sorts of creative solutions to get into areas.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon May 29, 2017 7:28 am

Nice recovery with your limber holes issue. Thickened epoxy is the best fix for that gap. I have used peanut butter consistency epoxy, put it in a plastic Ziploc bag with a corner nipped off and squeezed it into the gap, like caulking with a cake decorating tool. Puts it where you want it with little mess and disposable!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Power Boats”