Flotation Question

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Jimbob

Flotation Question

Postby Jimbob » Tue May 30, 2017 3:57 pm

I have been thinking about adding flotation to the Barrelback I am building.

Does anyone know what would be a sufficient amount to keep the boat on the surface in terms sq ft of foam? (There must be come sort of formula somewhere).

Are there any problems with moisture buildup?

Is there any problem in adding in the bilge area forward of the engine? once again moisture problems? I could put it under the flooring. I could also put it between the ceilings and the hull as there is unused space there also. Some have talked about using insulation (the pink stuff foam blocks) which I like the idea of as it could be easily removed later for access or whatever.

Your thoughts and comments will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim Neeley
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Mark-NJ

Re: Flotation Question

Postby Mark-NJ » Tue May 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue May 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks!
Looks like flotation is a requirement USCC. Right?

Jim
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue May 30, 2017 4:21 pm

No, its not required unless you are a boat manufacturer selling boats for sale to the public. Even if you do sell your boat person to person later on it is not required for home-built boats.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Tue May 30, 2017 4:23 pm

I have really struggled with that question.....while I long ago decided to foam my boat anyway, I could never get a straight, definitive answer to that question.

USCG's docs would seem to indicate "yes", but for home-made boats, there doesn't seem to be any enforcement. Nor is there any written exception to the CFR that I can find...

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue May 30, 2017 4:40 pm

The regs are vague, but your insurance company may like to see that flotation foam is used. I bought the expanding stuff from Glen L and cast billets of foam in a plastic storage bin I got from Home Depot. I then put them in large ziplock backs to keep the particles that shed off them contained and to protect them. The wood floats, so you just need to add enough to offset the weight of the stuff that doesn't. I think a cubic foot floats about 60 lbs..

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Tue May 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Jimbob
I found the publication produced by the "American Boat & Yacht Council, Inc.", "United States Coast Guard Compliance Guideline "Flotation" to be very helpful. Keep the floatation material as high in the hull as possible to avoid the boat turning turtle when swamped. I used polyethylene foam, expensive, but is also used for packaging so you may find some for free. It's the stuff with the greasy feel. I ended up using .45 of a cubic metre of the stuff in my Monaco. This is more than required.
I am not familiar with USA law, but normally if a law states that something is mandatory i.e. "flotation" there has to be an exclusion if certain classes of vessels are to be exempt. I can not find any exclusion for amateur built boats.
33 CFR, Section 183.101 only excludes sailboats, canoes, kayaks, inflatable boats submersibles, surface effect vessels, amphibious vessels and raceboats.
In Australia the "law" is flotation is not required until the boat is sold. Try telling that to our registration office or water police and you go to the end of the queue.
Attachments
DSCF3359.JPG

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks everybody!
You all got me thinking again. Since my flooring is in sections, I think I will take each section out and make a mold on each flooring section. pour the 2 part flotation stuff into the mold making sure that there is clearance between foam and the bottom of the boat for drainage and air circulation. I assume the foam will stick to the underside of the flooring. I might make molds for foam behind the ceiling panels also.
All of your ideas are good for my thinking process that I like to do when I'm supposed to be working. :lol:
Jim
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:41 am

If you use foam, my advice is to be sure to allow for air circulation *somehow*. I would suggest against letting it touch the wood. Although it does not soak up water per se, water can get into the first 1/8" or so, and it will stay there. If it is in contact with the wood and if you can't open things up to air dry completely, a slowly progressing disaster will ocurr. I am mentioning this because yesterday I finished replacing the floor in my 94 fish and ski. I had another boat to which I did the same, and I blame the fact that water got in under the floor (as it always will) and it stayed there, mainly due to the foam, and no air gap between it and the wood. How you accomplish that goal is up to the builder, but I just wanted to mention the issue.

Return to “Power Boats”