Thoughts on a Tahoe 23 Utility

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

WayWard
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: Maryland

Thoughts on a Tahoe 23 Utility

Postby WayWard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Have there been any documented Tahoe 23 utility configuration builds?

I saw a post by Gayle if I recall correctly that seemed to say that most of the runabouts are structurally sound enough to convert to a utility configuration.

After tons of searching and digging through the forum here. I found this line drawing and I really love the flow through the cockpit to the stern. My only concern would be sufficient space around the motor to move around.

Image

Also any thought on limited use of a Tahoe 23 on the Chesapeake? I read that the Tahoe handles rougher water a bit better than other runabout designs. That's part of the reason I'm looking at the 23' design.

User avatar
Bill Edmundson
Posts: 10311
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:45 am
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on a Tahoe 23 Utility

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:48 pm

John

Ken Hankinson designed the Tahoe with a very strong sheer. It's 5 or 6 laminations of 1x1. It will definitely work as an open utility.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

PeterG
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:08 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Thoughts on a Tahoe 23 Utility

Postby PeterG » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:08 pm

You can study Marine engine dimensions an get an idea of engine widths from manufacturer's data, add a margin on either side and find the size of the engine cover. Typically the V8's and V6's are the same width, an inline engine will gain some room, but except for the 3.0 L Mercruiser/GM 4 cyl engines, they are harder to find now. Hankinson's boats are well designed and a utility version is do-able.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Brad Tucker
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:20 am
Location: Washington, GA

Re: Thoughts on a Tahoe 23 Utility

Postby Brad Tucker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:55 am

I think it's possible. I almost did it, but liked the wood deck too much. Now I just have to figure out how to walk on a baby grand piano to use the swim deck. I will say that you need to take into consideration your fuel tank size and shape. I was going with a Moeller 25 gallon, but it was too tall to get the fill hose on, so I went with 2 18 gallon tanks. They currently sit on what would be the floor, were it a utility boat. I think you would have enough room to get around the doghouse, but it won't be a huge amount. My opinion!

WayWard
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Thoughts on a Tahoe 23 Utility

Postby WayWard » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:16 am

Brad Tucker wrote:I think it's possible. I almost did it, but liked the wood deck too much. Now I just have to figure out how to walk on a baby grand piano to use the swim deck. I will say that you need to take into consideration your fuel tank size and shape. I was going with a Moeller 25 gallon, but it was too tall to get the fill hose on, so I went with 2 18 gallon tanks. They currently sit on what would be the floor, were it a utility boat. I think you would have enough room to get around the doghouse, but it won't be a huge amount. My opinion!


Seems like average engine width is around 30". With a cockpit width of 68" that leaves some space to squeeze past when accounting for the hatch structure. Not sure what the space would be towards the stern due to the taper.

Where does the design place the fuel tank?

It's tough to pick a design without knowing some of the specifics of the plans. I totally understand why Glen-L can't post that info. Just don't want to drop 250 on some plans only to find out they're not suitable for my intentions.

Regardless I'm a ways out from starting. Got a lot of preparatory work to do first. This is a good point of focus for my obsessive planning.

Brad Tucker
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:20 am
Location: Washington, GA

Re: Thoughts on a Tahoe 23 Utility

Postby Brad Tucker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:24 am

The plans call out a 40 gallon tank behind the rear seat. I did away with my back seat and put a hatch there.

WayWard
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Thoughts on a Tahoe 23 Utility

Postby WayWard » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:37 am

Brad Tucker wrote:The plans call out a 40 gallon tank behind the rear seat. I did away with my back seat and put a hatch there.



Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks.

Just went through your Facebook page. Your Tahoe is beautiful. I love the contrasting deck and was thinking along the same lines.

Tony Hain
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: Queensland Australia

Re: Thoughts on a Tahoe 23 Utility

Postby Tony Hain » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Have a look at "Tahoe 20 - New Zealand Progress". It may give you some ideas.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

ToddM
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Re: Thoughts on a Tahoe 23 Utility

Postby ToddM » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:48 pm

WayWard wrote:Where does the design place the fuel tank?

It's tough to pick a design without knowing some of the specifics of the plans. I totally understand why Glen-L can't post that info. Just don't want to drop 250 on some plans only to find out they're not suitable for my intentions.


You can buy the "study plans" for I think $15, and I think, maybe, the $15 is deducted from the price when you purchase. I bought the study plans, then purchased the Tahoe 19 plans, and then changed my mind and exchanged the 19 plans for Tahoe 23 plans. The peeps at Glen-l were very understanding. But don't count on my memory for the study plan reimbursement. You will want to know that from your own research.

WayWard
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Thoughts on a Tahoe 23 Utility

Postby WayWard » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:06 pm

ToddM wrote:
WayWard wrote:Where does the design place the fuel tank?

It's tough to pick a design without knowing some of the specifics of the plans. I totally understand why Glen-L can't post that info. Just don't want to drop 250 on some plans only to find out they're not suitable for my intentions.


You can buy the "study plans" for I think $15, and I think, maybe, the $15 is deducted from the price when you purchase. I bought the study plans, then purchased the Tahoe 19 plans, and then changed my mind and exchanged the 19 plans for Tahoe 23 plans. The peeps at Glen-l were very understanding. But don't count on my memory for the study plan reimbursement. You will want to know that from your own research.


Doesn't look like the study plans are available for the Tahoe. Don't see it listed in the store. That'd be great though

User avatar
gap998
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 5:40 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Re: Thoughts on a Tahoe 23 Utility

Postby gap998 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:41 pm

It's a 19 but this should give you some ideas.

http://www.ynotyachts.com/tahoe_19_buildphotos6.htm
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"


Return to “Power Boats”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JimK and 19 guests