Cheaper to build and run than Personal Watercraft

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

scottp

Cheaper to build and run than Personal Watercraft

Postby scottp » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:09 pm

I found some info on the net where in the N.E. they are building and racing what they call Crab Skiffs
using 25HP Briggs & Stratton engines. These are usually two seaters and they look like they go pretty
good and would be a lot of fun on flat water inland lakes. Also this type V-twin industrial air cooled motor
is available up to 35hp in power at an engine weight of about 160 pounds. So here I think is the possibility
to run around a lake at 35 mph at 3 to 5 gal fuel per hour and should not be that expensive to build
considering the motors are less than Two thousand bucks compared to 35hp outboards that might cost
ten or twelve thousand or more. I am not in love with the boat design but it seems to work well
and should be easy to build. I found another small design of 12 feet I think called the Tiny-Might which
was the basis for a racing class of boats in the 1950s called the Danbury racers that used Crosby engines.
This design also could accommodate a passenger and should perform similarly to a Crab Skiff on the same
35hp engine. The main thing is I dont want to incur a six, ten or twenty gal per hour fuel usage as
is the case with personal watercraft that now boast of engines exceeding 200hp these days. An inboard
is a lot more efficient than a jet drive but there is an alternative that is way more efficient than an
inboard or outboard and that is the surface piercing drives but I can find no one who is using that approach
on smallish boats. I believe with a boat hull that weighs 175 pounds and with a 35hp industrial engine
that I could probably cruise calm waters at 3 gal per hour riding solo if I could find ( or build ) an optimized
setup using surface piercing technology.

I am going to try to attach some pics of the racing Crab Skiffs.
$$$7063_o-.jpg
Attachments
$$$3501.jpg
##8892.jpg

Mark-NJ

Re: Cheaper to build and run than Personal Watercraft

Postby Mark-NJ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but that looks like a really good way to, as Shakespeare put it, "shuffle off this mortal coil....."

I'll stick to slow & safe in a wide-beam, under-powered utility runabout.

scottp

Postby scottp » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Here are some pics that did not come through that show some variation in motor and seating locations
of these racing Crab Skiffs
Attachments
#49_Hot Crabs.jpg
#7391_o-.jpg

scottp

Postby scottp » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:04 pm

As I mentioned I would like to drop this engine setup ( but with a 35hp instead of 20hp) into
a 12' Glen-L Tiny-Mite What I cannot figure out is how to connect the crankshaft from the
air cooled industrial V-Twin to a 1 inch propeller shaft etc.

Return to “Power Boats”