Photobucket mess

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

FFRCOBRA

Photobucket mess

Postby FFRCOBRA » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:52 am

Not sure if you all have heard, but Photobucket has changed their policy on third party image hosting/linking. They have shut off linking to forums and effectively killed thousands of forum threads by blocking the photos from showing.

My build thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25637) was HEAVY on pictures to help show the progress and how I did things. It's all dead now.

Simply google Photobucket and click 'news'. There are many articles in the last few days about how they have messed up forums across the globe.

For me Photobucket had become nearly unusable over the last few years because of the amount of adds on the site but unfortunately I was too deep to switch. I have forum threads from 10 years ago still linking pictures....well, not now.

They are asking for $400 per year to allow third party linking. I won't be doing that but I will try to re-link my thread pics from a new hosting site if possible. Any suggestions on who to use?

Thanks
Craig

WayWard

Re: Photobucket mess

Postby WayWard » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:43 am

I use imgur for my hosting needs.

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:46 am

Man this really grinds my gears. I've got many, many forum threads at various sites that I've been using Photobucket to host photos for for over ten years. I'm inclined to tell Photobucket to take their third party hosting and stick it where it fits. No way will I finacially reward them for shafting probably millions of users.

It'll take some time but I'll be moving my hosting elsewhere and will have to repair my posts, one at a time. Phu** Photobucket.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:22 pm

I posted this in my build thread (Ski-Tow).....all of my links are dead. A year of pics of my boat build - gone. I'm pretty pissed about it.

I will NOT pay PB's ransom; I've deleted my account. The hell with them.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:34 am

I've had several photo hosts dump my pictures over the years. I posted the entire Torpedo build using Glen L's attachments and they are all still there. I think those hosting sights just want to hold you for ransom later on. I think you are better off just creating a website if you want something other than the Glen L site.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:16 am

Roberta,
Can you explain how to use Glen-L's attachments? Are you talking about attaching your own photos?

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:31 am

I am referring to attaching your photos to the threads in the Glen L forum. I used to use off site hosts in the Zip and Lower unit threads I created in the forum. Most of the pictures I posted are now gone. I started using the Glen L upload a few years ago and all the pictures are still there. The Glen L attachment is so fast and simple.

In case someone needs this, it is in the Forum Etiquette and Notes.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31194

Roberta :D

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:37 am

Roberta

I'm glad you wrote that up and we got it posted.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:29 am

To clarify things a bit, when photos are attached to thread (as Roberta suggests), they should continue to be visible as long as the forum itself is available. When photos are linked from an external source (such as PhotoBucket), then you are at the mercy of the host carrier for you photos. The only advantage to linking the photos in an external carrier is that they can be posted in the thread in a larger size.

When attached, the advantage is that you can place them where you want them and the disadvantage is that they initially appear smaller. There is also something going on with the photos rotating. I have never encountered this but I believe it's because all of my photos go directly from my camera to my Google Drive (in the cloud) and then I normally clean them up using the Google Photos tools. When I want to attach them to a thread, I have to download them from the drive (takes a minute at most) so that I can then attach them to the thread.

Bottom line, nothing on the Internet is permanent, but storing your website or photos on the cloud is about as safe as it can get. Just don't forget your password! :lol: :lol:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:35 am

Roberta wrote:I am referring to attaching your photos to the threads in the Glen L forum. I used to use off site hosts in the Zip and Lower unit threads I created in the forum. Most of the pictures I posted are now gone. I started using the Glen L upload a few years ago and all the pictures are still there. The Glen L attachment is so fast and simple.

In case someone needs this, it is in the Forum Etiquette and Notes.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31194

Roberta :D

Gonna test this here....
Attachments
IMG_0478.JPG
Stevenson Skipjack completed June 2017

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:35 am

I like it! I wish I'd known about this ages ago.

Thanks Roberta

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Your pic looks great. It shows as a large thumb print and gets full size when clicked. Often pics can be clicked twice to get a really big version. I wonder how many members are not clicking on pictures to see that they do get big? Clicking on your's a second time makes it really big and you can scroll through it to see more detail. Most pics posted are that way.

Roberta :D :D :D :D

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Roberta wrote:Your pic looks great. It shows as a large thumb print and gets full size when clicked. Often pics can be clicked twice to get a really big version. I wonder how many members are not clicking on pictures to see that they do get big? Clicking on your's a second time makes it really big and you can scroll through it to see more detail. Most pics posted are that way.

Roberta :D :D :D :D

This is the real advantage of using attachments. Many times I've wanted to look over a picture to get more details about some particular facet. If the photo is reduced before attaching, then this option is lost to the user. If the photo is attached full size to the thread, then the user can do as Roberta said. This is a great benefit. Clicking on the picture also usually corrects the situation where the picture is attached sideways or upside down.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:33 pm

My entire True Grit blog was using PhotoBucket. Just spent 14 hours re-linking all the photos. I know there are numerous photos one various post scattered all over this and other forums that will also be dead. Haven't even thought about addressing any of that. I was fortunate that I had all the photos posted on PB. They state you can download them if you don't have them but I found the traffic and ads so bad I could not successfully do it. I moved them to an ISP my son manages so hopefully would be a problem again. (Then again, I seem to pay him a ransom weekly in the form of home repairs! :wink: ) The Cabin Skiff blog was already there so it wasn't a problem.

I just can't imagine this is a good business plan for PB. Sure there will be some that are forced to pay the $399 ransom to get their sites up and running again but come next year how many do you think will renew when the following year they could increase the price to $1000 ? They have already shown they have no scruples by the way they handled this. Who would want to continue to do business with them? BTW - this is a good ole American company not some foreign outfit.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

JasonG

Postby JasonG » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:12 am

This happened to me with my dyno-jet build. A previous builder had a lot of great build photos that I referred to a bunch but one day, poof, they are gone. I contacted the builder but he couldn't or wouldn't re-do the album. I can't remember who the web host was but it was real disappointing.

Jason

Return to “Power Boats”