Monaco Splash rail position

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

cssh

Monaco Splash rail position

Postby cssh » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi all,
I'm embarking on making the splash rails for my Monaco and i have a few questions.
- Position
I was thinking of putting them inline with where the hull goes vertical on the sides.
To add to this i am also in 2 minds as to position them parallel to the paint line on the side, of parallel to the top edge of the hull.
- Length
My boat is looking more like a newer version of a Chris craft racing runabout, so i was going to run them around 1/4 length of the hull. This lines up with where the hull starts to curl under.
- Thickness
1 inch (25mm) was my guess

I'm open to any advice that anyone wishes to send my way.
thanks
chris
Sydney Australia

PeterG

Re: Monaco Splash rail position

Postby PeterG » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi Chris, good question but first let's make sure we're talking the same thing: on a classic hull the spray rails are pieces mounted along the bottom edge of the sides at the chines, they run from bow to stern and redirect splashing water "spray" from the hull back down to the surface of the water. The other thing, which I think you are talking about, is actually a rub or bumper rail. They are mounted on the sides of the hull typically in the aft third or so of the hull length and protect the hull side from rubbing or banging against a dock or pier. They usually run from the point like you said about where the sides are vertical then aft to the transom. They may be parallel to the waterline but more often they are placed along the widest part of the curve of the sides. That may make it parallel to the upper edge of the side (sheer) or some angle in between the sheer and the waterline. That will depend on the hull shape. Glen L boat plans will show how the rub rail is installed. One inch is about right. Some designs are tapered from 1 inch at the hull down to maybe 3/4 inch or 5/8 inch thick at the outer edge, but you can make it however you like.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

cssh

Postby cssh » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Thanks thats exactly the info i was after.
Time to cut some timber.
thanks
chris

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:32 am

Chris

The sprayrail is at the bottom edge of the chine. The bottom is perpendicular to the sides, at the stern you may want to flatten it to parallel to the water.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:53 am

Chris, Here are pictures of the splash rails I recently added to my Gentry. I did it in two laminations, each one came out 5/8". So the total width is 1.25". I think one inch would be fine. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but planning on doing it this Thursday. I will post something.... Neel
Attachments
20170321_125023.jpg
20170316_162420.jpg

Return to “Power Boats”