Malahini sheer clamp blunder

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

obd

Malahini sheer clamp blunder

Postby obd » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:05 pm

I didn't glue or clamp sheer/transom frame junction while other while other sheer/frame junctions dried because I wasn't ready for transom frame to be permanently mounted yet. Therefore, the aft portion of sheer was not pulled in creating the proper bowing of the sheer line. Long story short, sheer is a bit flat between frames 3 and 4. Option 1, add an outer partial sheer lamination and fair in to create proper sheer line, or option 2, cut sheer loose and re-epoxy. I haven't added any hardware yet so cutting the sheer loose is doable but I lean toward option 1, partly because the sheer/frame joints turned out to be some of my cleanest. I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas, recommendations, opinions, etc. Thanks!

Bill Edmundson

Re: Malahini sheer clamp blunder

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:13 pm

obd

I think that I'd build it up.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

PeterG

Re: Malahini sheer clamp blunder

Postby PeterG » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Building up would be easiest, just need to know how much and where. And, it won't ever be seen. You can spring a batten along the top of your sheer, lined up over the notches in the frames and transom, that should show where your sheers are off. I'm betting not off by much and mostly between frames 1 and 2. Use maybe a 5/8" x 5/8" batten, about 10 or 12 ft long to get a fair line, clamp an alignment block to each of the frame side pieces up against the inside face of the sheer, in order to line up the batten with the frame notches. Spring the batten into place and look for where it varies from the sheers. Good luck!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Power Boats”