Geronimo - trailer ride

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

Geronimo - trailer ride

Post by bobinpowayca »

Well I've got a ways to go before she's ready for the water but in a month or so I will need to trailer the boat to the evinrude dealer to get the motor. So I'm thinking about ways to tie it down on the trailer. I am putting three cleats on each side. I'd like to make up three lines for each side with an eye splice on one end and an end splice on the other end - then just loop these over the cleats, and tie them down to the trailer frame. Maybe put eyes on the trailer frame. I think that would work vs. ratcheting straps over the boat. Wondering if any of you folks might share how you tie down your boats in the size range I'm in. It's 16ft and I'm putting a 90 hp outboard on it. Thanks, Bob
Attachments
IMG_0912.JPG
Bob

Re: Geronimo - trailer ride

Post by hoodman »

Bob, most people use something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo- ... gLpYfD_BwE

The hook to eyes on the port and starboard of the transom. Most trailers have some kind of eye to hook the other end to.

I had not installed the transom eyes in my Geronimo yet when I trailered it from NC to IN. So I just put a ratchet strap over the stern with some towels to pad the strap at the sheers.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139
rleete

Post by rleete »

Ratchet straps are cheap. A set of four from Horrible Fright is less than $15. ( https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-ca ... 63056.html ) I've used them for years to tie my 4 wheeler down in the back of the truck. When they get rusty or worn, they are cheap enough to toss out and replace. I also use their cheap bungee cords to secure tarps.

Pipe insulation (a couple bucks from any big box store) makes a great pad for the straps so they don't chafe. Another alternative is pool noodles from the dollar store.
bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca »

Thanks guys. I think my issue with ratcheting tie downs is it seems like I always have trouble getting the hang of using the ratchet; guess I could learn. I wasn't thinking of putting hooks on the stern, but I do want to use the boat for pulling tubes etc. Looks like I could put a couple of hooks up high on the back corners of the transom and that would serve both purposes, hooking up a bridle for pulling the toys and tying down the boat.
Matt, have you gotten back to work on your boat yet? Bob
Bob

Post by neel thompson »

Bob... I use these to tie my Gentry down to the trailer. I bought some foam pipe insulators similar to swim noodles. I wrap the rope where it touches the hull or deck.... They work great and they just keep on working, unlike ratchet straps from HF. ... Neel

https://www.amazon.com/Carolina-North-1 ... +tie+downs
bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca »

Neel, I think I'll try these. Bob
Bob

Post by neel thompson »

Bob... I will tell you that I have cheap rope on mine, like the rope you use to waterski, and it will stretch some on a long trip. So when I pull in for gas, I check them each time. I recommend you use a rope that won't stretch too much. Neel
hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Yes if you put eyes in the stern for water sports towing they will also serve as tie downs to the trailer. It's what every boat manufacturer does.
Matt

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I haven't started working on the boat again yet but it is happening very soon. I just upgraded the lighting in the garage big time and built a bunch of shelves to get things organized.
Matt

rleete

Post by rleete »

I bought bulbs from https://greenlightdepot.com/ Best money I ever spent in my shop. Bright, cheap, and reliable. Do a bit of research on color output before you buy, as some people will not like the very bright high temperature bulbs. The diffused bulbs are great for helping to eliminate glare.

Setting up your shop IS working on the boat. Can't do the work if you don't have the place set up and tools at hand to do the job.
hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I already had bought a contractor pack of fluorescent tubes and had a bunch left over from when I upgraded the lights in the last shop. I put in four 2 bulb fixtures in my garage. It's pretty much daylight in there now and a huge upgrade over the two bare light bulbs that were there before. The challenge now is getting everything put away and organized efficiently. One way or the other I am encapsulating the interior soon.
IMG_20170803_144632904.jpg
The sideways mounted fixtures don't get blocked when the garage door is open. I will say, I think it's going to be nice having the boat right here in our attached garage instead of on the other side of our property like at the old place.
Matt

Return to “Power Boats”