how do I find outboard motor size requirements ?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

watkibe

how do I find outboard motor size requirements ?

Postby watkibe » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:54 am

I am building Cabin Skiff. The hull is being assembled. The transom is complete except for the motor cutout. Other posts on this board indicate that modern motors need a bigger motor well than is specified in the plans
How do I find out the factory specified footprint and installation requirements ?
I am planning on buying a new motor later on. It seems to me I need to shop around exactly as if I was going to buy the motor now, choose one or more specific motors, and then ask the sale person for the installation spec sheet so I can finish the boat to fit their motor.
I really don't want to have to work on the transom once it's in the boat !

Any tips, hints, or recommendations will be gratefully appreciated... Thanks !
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

DrBryanJ

Re: how do I find outboard motor size requirements ?

Postby DrBryanJ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:11 am

Watkibe:

Most of the manufacturers have the specs on their website. Some are hard to find. If you are interested in a specific brand, call the customer support and they will usually tell you where on their web site it is hiden. For example: Evinrude - go to Evinrude.com. Click on shopping tools. Then "on-line store". Then "parts". Then select year of model. Then select size. Then look for profile drawing.

Good luck. I don't know why they make it so difficult to find basic information.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

galamb

Postby galamb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:29 pm

Here is the required cut-out dimensions from Merc as published for the 40/50/60 horse 4 stroke models. I would consider this "sufficient" as long as you are considering any of the "major outboard mfg's" such as Evinrude, Mercury, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, Tohatsu etc. The Merc's powerhead is the largest or at least equal to the largest of standard 4 stroke models of similar horsepower.

The Evinrude ETEC powerheads are a little "smaller" than the 4 stroke powerheads so would easily fit these cutout's.

Outboard Mounting.jpg
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:20 am

Thanks to galamb and DrBryanJ for your speedy and helpful replies.
I will follow up on your suggestions.
thx again !
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

Return to “Power Boats”