Trasom Drains: Yea or Nay?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: Trasom Drains: Yea or Nay?

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 pm

TClark

You want the hole as low as you can get it. There is a lot of strength in the transom. The frame, the transom, the hull, the keel, the knee, and the motor board, all contribute to the strength. It will not be a problem.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:36 pm

I drilled mine adjacent both sides of the keel just above the bottom planking right through the frame and transom planking. Won't hurt a thing.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:53 pm

:D OH Goody! I just read something that stated in Minnesota,It's not illegal to not have a drain plug.I was worried about that on "Chug" since her Hull is lower in the front than the stern.Will have to rely on bilge pumps.I'm trying to make her as watertight as possible with deck drains and rear enclosure curtains.however don't think it'll be foolproof. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Mickffly

Postby Mickffly » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:15 am

Building a key largo, but I have a fiberglass power boat. It has a garboard drain plug right in the center of the transom. When I get back from a day on the water, I hose down the inside of the boat, crank the trailer angle as high as it will go and take out the plug. I get the salt rinsed out and don't have to vacuum. With the Key Largo, I would need two garboard drains, one on each side of the keel. Roberta...I see the tube ends on your transom...do you have the garboard plugs on the inside or are you using the rubber drain plugs? I like the simplicity of the garboard drain but wonder if two on the transom will look clunky...and will still need tubes to get through the transom...and am wondering how I will connect it to the garboard?
Mickffly
Charleston, SC
Key Largo Build
started 8/30/2015

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:43 am

I use rubber plugs with the brass "T" handles. I was glad I had an extra set when i forgot to put them in one day and how easy it was, for Rich, to reach down to get them in before the boat sank. :lol:

The garboard do require a wrench and sealant. I think the brass rubber plugs are easier to use and, maybe, less obtrusive. Certainly faster to install in a panic. :lol:

Roberta :D

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:15 am

I have 4 Garboard plugs on the Bartender. I'm not happy with them. I wish that I had just put simple tubes with rubber plugs!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Can I ask one more dumb question?

Holes are drilled with a 1" forstner bit....tubes were a tight, press fit. I removed the tubes, and applied thin epoxy rubbed into the fresh-cut end grain & let it cure.

We all know you can't put a 1" peg into a 1" hole, so as you can imagine these tubes were a tight fit to begin with. With the epoxy coating, they now no longer fit. I've sanded the epoxy, careful not to cut back into the wood, but in places I do have some exposed grain.

So now I'm thinking: with thickened epoxy to hold the tubes in, I need clearance for the glue, or else it will be wiped off as the tubes are inserted. Seems to me the holes need to be a smidge oversize. Too small, and the epoxy will be "squeegeed" away.......too big, and the epoxy will drip down & out.

How big should these holes be? Clearly bigger than they are, but I don't want to go crazy, either.

Suggestions?

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Mark I would usually suggest a typical clearance hole size, about 1/32" oversize but with slight variations in epoxy application in the hole maybe 1/16" oversize would work better, install the tube with thickened epoxy about the consistency of peanut butter. Thicker is less likely to run out before curing.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:00 pm

Mark-NJ wrote:Can I ask one more dumb question?

Holes are drilled with a 1" forstner bit....tubes were a tight, press fit. I removed the tubes, and applied thin epoxy rubbed into the fresh-cut end grain & let it cure.

We all know you can't put a 1" peg into a 1" hole, so as you can imagine these tubes were a tight fit to begin with. With the epoxy coating, they now no longer fit. I've sanded the epoxy, careful not to cut back into the wood, but in places I do have some exposed grain.

So now I'm thinking: with thickened epoxy to hold the tubes in, I need clearance for the glue, or else it will be wiped off as the tubes are inserted. Seems to me the holes need to be a smidge oversize. Too small, and the epoxy will be "squeegeed" away.......too big, and the epoxy will drip down & out.

How big should these holes be? Clearly bigger than they are, but I don't want to go crazy, either.

Suggestions?

Drill fill drill. Drill a 1.5" hole and fill it completely with thickened epoxy. Then redrill the hole to 1" diameter. You now have a hole with 1/4" thick sleeve of epoxy lining it. A dab of sealant on each end of the tube and a tight flare job and you should be good to go. All my hull penetrations have been done his way.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:26 pm

Honestly, this all bothers me a bit. Sure wish I had known all of that before I drilled my 1" holes. Broaching them out bigger won't be clean....

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:38 pm

Mark

You can buy smaller sanding drums that will fit in a drill. then ream out the hole and epoxy inside.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:57 pm

Like Bill wrote.. Use a 1/2" sanding drum to open the holes up a bit. Seal them up with thin resin. Then install the tubes with thick epoxy. I just made sure any exposed wood was well sealed. Treat the holes like any exposed wood.

Roberta

kens

Postby kens » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:43 am

I have my plugs set up 2 ways.
The rubber stopper is on the inside, and garboard plugs on the outside.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Mark-NJ wrote:Honestly, this all bothers me a bit. Sure wish I had known all of that before I drilled my 1" holes. Broaching them out bigger won't be clean....

Another option (test first) is to put in a 1" dowel rod into the hole (maybe even glue it in temporarily). The pilot drill and use a larger Forstner bit.

But please test first! :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:35 pm

I'm giving this a ton of thought, and I keep circling back on your notion: plug the hole (glue in a 1" dowell) and start over with a 1-1/16" bit...

Return to “Power Boats”