Trasom Drains: Yea or Nay?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Andy Garrett

Re: Trasom Drains: Yea or Nay?

Postby Andy Garrett » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Water WILL get in your boat, and sponges will NEVER get it all.
This is part of building a boat gang.
Have the confidence to do it, and develop the competence to do it right.

I drilled my holes, put on rubber gloves, ensured total encapsulation of all exposed wood (per the book) and set my brass tubes with plenty of epoxy to boot. Wipe up the mess, and done.

I've never had a problem, but I've been happy many times that I did it.

Leaving any amount of standing water in a wooden boat is about the worst thing you can do to it.

On a side note: I had a friend who said that as a kid, they'd put the plug(s) in from the inside and if water started to accumulate, they'd pull the plug(s) while at speed and the water would be sucked out by vacuum. Then, just reinsert. Never tried it myself. :?
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Andy

I've pulled plugs many times while running. The first boat we had would get a lot of water between the sole and hull. I don't know how. It was in covered storage. We would leave the dock and it would just wallow. Pull the inner and outer plug to drain it. The RPMs would really come up as the water drained.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:15 am

Water WILL get in your boat, and sponges will NEVER get it all.
This is part of building a boat gang.
Have the confidence to do it, and develop the competence to do it right.

This past weekend, I had my boat in the water for the local Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival. We had several intermittent hard rains yesterday although for the most part the weather was sunny and hot. Obviously, I knew my boat would have some water in it when I pulled it out so I pulled the trailer to an inclined area and pulled the plug. Water ran out of it like it was coming out of a garden hose for several seconds and while watching that I could not help but think of this thread. By the time I got the outside grunge that accumulates when you have a boat in the water for 4 days cleaned off and returned to the storage building where I keep my boat, it was nearing 8 PM and I was very tired, but not so tired that I was going to leave without first pulling my floor panels and drying up the water that didn't drain through the tube. It was some work and time to that, but minimal compared to cleaning up what would have been left without the drain tube installed and while doing this task I decided that I must post on this thread again. And voila, I open the thread this morning and see that Andy Garrett posted exactly what I was thinking last night.

Install the tube and do it right. When it's late in the evening and you're tired from being on the water all day, you'll be glad you did.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:43 am

Yup. I like to leave mine out after pulling the boat out and on the way home. Many lakes require that you arrive and leave with plugs removed to ensure that the spread of invasive species is mitigated. Some may require steam cleaning of your bilge.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:10 am

Well, my boat is not that big and it's all foamed in place under the sole except for the bilge which is less than 3' wide from frame 4 to the transom, and I live in a desert climate, etc, but Roberta I wonder about your comment that "many lakes require the plug to be removed....". So what happens if you don't have a drain plug?? I want to travel to other states with my boat. Here in CA we have the quagga muscle issue. Bob
Bob

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:17 am

I posted this in another area, but I vote yes for transom drains...

When I put my Squirt up on the lift two weeks ago, I left the drain plug in since I was planning on pulling it out the following weekend and there was no rain in the forecast for the week. Something came up, and I ended up leaving the boat in for an extra week, and we got rain, a lot of rain. I had forgotten about the drain plug being in, and when I showed up to load up the boat there was about 6" of water at the transom and the seat was almost under water. The boat had water in it for at least 4 days.

After draining it and getting it home, I checked out the interior. I used Sapele for the frames and battens, and apparently is gets much darker when it gets wet. I had a few spots in the rear compartment where the gas tank had scratched through the epoxy that were really dark. Also, the seat is held in with screws and I didn't drill these out enough and the screws cracked Frame 1 slightly around the screw holes, and these were very dark around them. Everywhere else the epoxy (System 3 Silver Tip) kept the water at bay. I double checked around both drain plugs, and both were dry with no discoloration, so I'm happy that I put the drains in properly.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:44 am

Wisconsin and Minnesota have laws regarding aquatic plants and animals being transported by boats and trailers. Check the state dnr regulations for any lakes and states you plan on visiting. Lake Powell in AZ used to require boats bilge to be steam cleaned if they came from contaminated areas. Since the lake has been contaminated, they no longer inspect.

Roberta

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:04 am

Do a search on states that have drain plug laws for boats.

Roberta

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:21 pm

Since I'm at the point in my build (motor box) where it's time to do it I think I'll go ahead and put in a transom drain.
And also - what about the motor box drains? I don't see it on my Geronimo plans anywhere but I'm assuming since it's a "self-bailing" motor box that it should have drains. I'm thinking I should put one in each aft corner of the box. I guess these would be the same drains you'd use for the transom drain, right? Wonder why they call it "self-bailing", they're just drain holes right? Seems like these would be necessary for sure. Bob
Bob

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:31 am

Here is a shot of the Zip with the bilge drain plugs and the motor box drain holes. I used 1" brass tubes for all of them. Motor box drains are left open. I ran my bilge pump discharge into the motor box and let that drain out the motor box holes.

Roberta
Attachments
Finishing work done 004.JPG

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:37 am

Ditto on what Roberta did. Bilge empties into splash well/motor box so there is one less hole in the hull. Open drain for motor box in transom.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks, Roberta. That's the plan then, I'll use the same tubing for both the motorbox and transom drains. I like the idea of running the bilge pump into the motorbox. Bob
Bob

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:13 pm

OK.....holes are drilled, drains are fit.

Which is preferred for gluing / sealing them in: 5200 or epoxy....and why?

Thanks!

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:45 pm

I give the bare wood several coats of thin resin to seal the wood then glue the tubes in with thick epoxy.

Roberta

tclark

Postby tclark » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:08 pm

Do you drill the hole for the transom drain just above the transom frame? Doesn't seem like a good idea to drill through the frame. Is it ok to make the drain hole through through the frame?

Return to “Power Boats”