Trasom Drains: Yea or Nay?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DrBryanJ

Re: Trasom Drains: Yea or Nay?

Postby DrBryanJ » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:07 am

Mark, I think that's how I would approach it.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:00 am

So Mark, not to add confusion, but you can start with something like a slightly less than 1" dowel wrapped in sandpaper and ream the hole a bit bigger by sanding, then progressively add more wraps of sandpaper to get up to the final hole size you need.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:11 am

I agree with Peter! Don't over complicate things. Make the hole a little bigger than the tube, seal it up, install the tube and move on. Remember, the whole boat was bare wood at one time.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

TomB

Postby TomB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:00 pm

And before shopping for some minus 1" dowel...cut a split down the end of a 1" dowel or maybe two splits so the dowel will fit a 1" hole with sand paper around it. The dowel will spring back to normal in the hole as the paper reams to hole.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:39 pm

I have a 7/8" sanding drum. That should work.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Didn't have to plug & re-drill...happily!

Holes were sanded out so that the tubes are now "sloppy" by about 1/16"......and the holes have been given 2 coats of laminating epoxy. Holes still have enough room for the tubes + thickened epoxy.

My construction epoxy order showed up last night, but the weather in NJ has turned (supposed to be in the '20s this weekend), so I may not have any "epoxy days" left until spring.

I'll get this done eventually! For now, I'm turning my attention to "wrench turning" on my new (vintage) '59 Johnson Javelin 35HP engine....

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:46 pm

Glad that worked out for you, hope you can epoxy those tubes in soon. Your '59 outboard sounds like a fun project, I'm betting some here would like to see that project!

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:05 pm

Mark, I'll second the motion on what Peter just wrote. I'd love to see some in-progress shots of your work on your Javelin. Love those 1950s Johnsons.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Well, like most things, there's a back story. If you followed my build thread, you know that my '53 Super Fastwin died (blown journal bearing) on launch day.....so I bought a 25HP that got me through the vacation. The 25HP ran great, but was a wee bit under-powered for the boat.

Once back in NJ, I decided to sell the '53. Craigslist worked...dead engine was sold for $50 to a vintage engine collector for parts. While the buyer was in my garage, he spotted the 25HP. He offered a deal that any sane person would run away from....but I'm always up for a challenge: A trade....my (perfectly-good, running) 25HP for a pair of (dead) 35HP engines! Sure! Why not?!?!

So I got a '59 35HP Gale and a '58 35HP Johnson Javelin......virtually identical engines. The Gale needs hoses, electronics, etc., but is otherwise OK with great compression. The Johnson is dumpster food; fully frozen & rusted solid, but has tons of parts, including that cool, sexy golden cowl...which will fit the gale if I interchange a few parts from one engine to the other.

So I'm converting the Gale into a Golden Javelin.

Both engines were filthy. The Gale got scrubbed, degreased, then sprayed with 2 cans of Gunk followed by a power washing. Then it got a final scrubbing of a Naphtha-Acetone mix. Then all the bare spots got hit with etching primer, followed by an overall painting. It looks great!

I didn't take any "before" pics, but here's the gale, post scrubbing....primed & ready:

Painted.....looking good! I didn't paint the powerhead or much of the 'stuff' under the cowl because, well, "why bother?"

New pump, new fuel lines, new vacuum hoses, everything being re-wired, carb completely torn down, cleaned & rebuilt, new magneto plate components. Dead Johnson can be seen in the background.

That's where I am right now. More to follow, if you want...
Last edited by Mark-NJ on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Mark, thanks for posting this. I'd love to see the story continue as you make further progress.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Nice deal on the Gale and Johnson.

I'd love to hear more on your rebuild and paint. I'm planning on restoring my 18hp Johnson, and I'm not sure where to start.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:18 pm

What year is your 18HP? Pre-'74 engines are a lot easier & more fun than more modern engines...

Either way, step 1 is getting a service manual & reading it front-to-back. Next, register here: http://aomci.org/forum/index.php The AOMCI guys are a great bunch & a wealth of knowledge.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:40 am

I remember those 35 hp Gale Buccaneer outboards, had one on a boat that my grandfather and my dad built back in the late '50s. It was pull start until my dad splurged for a battery to use the electric starter.
The boat was the Playboy, a 14' plywood runabout design published in a Popular Mechanics I think. Here is an example of that boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJNCnjPzLY4
I found the plans for it too!

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:26 am

Mark-NJ wrote:What year is your 18HP? Pre-'74 engines are a lot easier & more fun than more modern engines...

Either way, step 1 is getting a service manual & reading it front-to-back. Next, register here: http://aomci.org/forum/index.php The AOMCI guys are a great bunch & a wealth of knowledge.

Mine is a 1957 FDE-11 with electric start. I've been on the AOMCI pages and been to a local swap meet. I just want to make sure I don't screw up something major.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “Power Boats”