Scooter Build - Planking

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

tclark

Scooter Build - Planking

Postby tclark » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:29 am

I am building the Scooter and am in the planking stage of the build. I have planked the tunnel and that went smoothly. The sides are troubling me because the line of sight along the chine and sheer appears a little rolly poly - not exactly straight to the eye.

I have glued in additional wood( 1/8 plywood strips) to try to flatten out the curves but could still use some additional smoothing of the lines. I am looking for advice on how to plank the sides so finished product will look nice and straight. I am thinking I could apply epoxy glue( gelmagic) or thickend epoxy and only place strategic screws until the epoxy hardens, then go back and screw to design specs. Is this a sound idea or is there a better way? Is there a recommended product for this leveling or smoothing? Would a filet material be better than Gelmagic for filling the gap?

I think I am only off by about 1/4 inch - line of sight between the first three frames. I judged this by pulling a string along the chine and taking a look, same with the sheer.

Tom

JimmY

Re: Scooter Build - Planking

Postby JimmY » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:29 am

Bottom line, your need to make the framing fair before you think about planking it. Probably the easiest way at this point is to scab on strips of wood in the low spots and plane them fair with the surrounding wood. Ideally, you should have adjusted the notches for the chine and sheer to have them fair as possible, and then planes/sanded/shaped them from there.

You do not want to apply gobs of filler to an unfair planking job.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:51 am

JimmY has it right in that the frame structure, chines and sheers need to be straight and faired-in for the plywood planking to get the smooth lines and proper full contact between the plywood and the structure you are attaching it to. I don't know the Scooter except for the Glen-L description. Can you post some pictures so we can get a look at what you have?
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

tclark

Postby tclark » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 am

Jimmy and Peter,

Yes now I realize I should have adjusted the fit on the frame notches, unfortunately I didn't think of that at the time. Here are some pics of the problem.
Attachments
IMG_1136.JPG
chine needs faring
IMG_1133.JPG
chine 2 faring

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:11 am

:roll: maybe cut glued part loose and put wedge of wood behind -forcing chine or shear out.This cheapie tool works good
IMG_0766[1].JPG
Last edited by chugalug on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:36 am

Chug has a good suggestion, you can cut the problem pieces loose from the notches and shim them. You can lay out or re-establish the centerline of the hull and check the distance between the centerline and the outer edge of the chine at each frame, make sure this is per the plan dimensions. Do this for both port and starboard chines, to be sure they have the correct shape and are symmetrical. If you open a gap between the edges of the frames and the side planking because the chine sticks out further, we can help you figure that out too.
Nice work so far!

tclark

Postby tclark » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:24 am

Good suggestion. I considered cutting the problem out but couldn't figure out how to get in there with my jig saw and I don't think I can control my sawzall to make an accurate cut. I guess your suggested tool is controllable by hand. I don't have one and have never used one but looks like it could do the job. Another new toy.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:33 am

Whoo, that's a lot to fair! I'm glad you caught it now.

Like the other guys say, cut the chine lose and shim it out or deepen the notch. Typically, the side planking does NOT need to contact the frames, only the chine and sheer. So, don't worry about the frames at this time, jut get the chine and sheer straight/fair. If the side planking ends up not contacting the frames, just make sure to encapsulate the ends of the frames before planking over them.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:33 am

That tool is a "must have", IMO.

On my build, there were quite a few "how will I accomplish THAT?" moments, and that tool [with it's various size & shape bits] saved my bacon.

Mines battery powered, but still: must have!

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:51 am

:D You can pay whatever you want for those tools -some are expensive that one-got entire kit at True value hardware store for less than 30 bucks.works good for cleaning up epoxy drips and foam and cutting angled holes in transom for battens.comes with half round blade and square end one that I really like. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

tclark

Postby tclark » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks for the tip on the oscillating saw. I picked up the Sears Craftsman version because it was reasonable and convenient and it worked great in fixing the problem. I cut the chine and sheer from the frames, readjusted them and now everything is straight and looks a lot better.

Great tool, one I have never given any thought to, but glad I have it now.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Great news! Glad that worked out for you. Have fun!

Return to “Power Boats”