Crackerbox frame #4

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Jerry44

Crackerbox frame #4

Postby Jerry44 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:11 am

I need some advice on the #4 crackerbox frame, I have transfered the outline to the lumber but I do not like how narrow the frame is at the point were the set up level ends and the top of the frame angles starts.The width of the frame at this point is ~2" I have thought about increasing the set up level width by 3/4" and then increase the depth of the stringer notch by 3/4" to keep the profile of the hull. Am I going about this the correct way? I am using 4/4 African mohagany. My question is do I have a problem and is there another way to approch this. Thanks Jerry

John K

Postby John K » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:41 am

I think I am understanding your question.

On any of the frames you do not have to follow the level line as part of the frame. The level line is a reference point to transfer onto the frame, so you can set the frame to the building form correctly.

You do not want your frame to narrow to 2 inches. You want the frame to maintain at least 3 inches for strength.

narduccimarine

Postby narduccimarine » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:42 am

Jerry
On mine I used 2 seperate pcs of 1x4 for the bottom of frame # 4. Then I joined them with a 26" pc. that way I maintained 3.5" minimum of thickness. I think you can see it in the customer photos section of my boat
Bob Londress
If that does not help, I can take a pic of mine and send to you.
I just don't understand, I cut that plank twice and its still too short
http://www.narduccimarine.freehosting.net

Return to “Power Boats”