Help with Boat Build choice?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

seadog07

Help with Boat Build choice?

Postby seadog07 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:11 pm

I know this might be a difficult question to ask ya'll, but I am finally going to start my boat building project. I have narrowed it down to three designs, They are all a little different.

1) Zip
2) Tunnel King
3) Gentry

I have always had outboard boats throughout my life and that is my comfort zone, but after seeing Neel's Gentry 2 years ago it really impressed me.

So I know there is a difference in building costs but I am not concerned about that right now as much as getting the right design for my first boat build. I would hate to begin and not be able to complete it, thus throwing it away at the local dump.

Thanks in advance for all your responses!

jenko

Re: Help with Boat Build choice?

Postby jenko » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:17 pm

I would go for the Gentry :D but I am biased towards inboards

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:15 am

The Gentry will cost more to build but if cost is not the issue, I would , of course, go with the Gentry. There are quite a few Gentry builders in various stages of their builds on the forum who would help you along the way. There are also many who have completed their builds to help keep you motivated. If I can answer any questions about building the Gentry, please let me know... Best of luck with your decision.... Neel

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:08 am

Time, cost and a place to build it are all big factors, everyone had to pick their design based on those. Although woodworking ability is a factor too, most of us here had basic skills and learned what we needed as we went. As a first project, if you have a big enough place and cost is not a restriction and time is not a factor for you, I say build the one you think you'll enjoy most. Many here started with a smaller build to sharpen their skills and knew they were going to build a bigger one. Some just couldn't stop at one... Hercdriver started with a Zip, caught the boat building bug and started a barrelback even before the Zip was finished!
Glen-L boats are like potato chips, can't ever have just one...
Last edited by PeterG on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Seadog

The Tunnel King doesn't really interest me. The Zip and the Gentry are really nice boats. Both run great. The Gentry will cost more in time and money. My biggest advice is build the boat that you want. This can be a long process. You will need the motivation of wanting the boat to keep you going.

And, Spray-Rails are not optional. You want them.

Many people are here to help, regardless of what you choose.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:28 pm

What do you want to do with your boat?
Matt B

seadog07

Postby seadog07 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Matt

Good question

All my previous boats have been fishing boats and all in Florida except a bass boat up here in Tennessee.

I now longer in my old body to have a strictly fishing boat. I am retired ow and have multiple lakes in Tennessee to utilize. So I would like a boat that I could cruise around with my wife, and sometimes tubing with my son and granddaughter.

It appears that the Gentry might not be able to fit this because of the limited seating.

In the past I have been kind of a speed freak on the water. The reason for the suggestion of the tunnel king is that it reminded me of a boat from my childhood and South Florida, the Magnum Missle.

Another boat that I always wanted is an 18’ Donzi 2+3.

So there you have it.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Now that we know what you want to do with it and where I am going to say you may not really want those. The question of to tube/ski or not is a very large one.

The Zip is great for a lot of the less congested Tennessee waters, we love bringing ours down for the Gathering on the river and their are many other waters in TN we would love to take our Zip to, the state really suits the Zip perfectly. But, the Zip doesnt do well for tubing or skiiing unless the tube is being pulled the entire time because there is no room for the tube or ski's inside the boat when you have people in the boat. You can just barely fish from the Zip as well. For the same reasons the Gentry is maybe out, it has even less room. The Tunnel King is not much room either but similar to the Zip. Those 3 designs are going to be great for cruising around and having a good time enjoying the TN scenery as we love to do but not much for water-sports unless you arent going to plan on carrying the tube or the ski's inside the boat.

If you want to ski or tube I am going to suggest you consider the Malahini, Ski-King, or Ski-Tow. You'll want a "Utility" type of layout which allows for a more open and roomy interior. Any Glen-L boat is just wonderful to cruise around in and when you have beautiful places like TN to go boating, for me thats really all I need.

The other thing to get serious about is asking yourself if you are a "builder" or a "boater". I am a boater, so a 3-year project is way too long for me. I need something that can be done in a year and a half or maybe 2. I cant stand the sight of an unfinished project or the feeling of slow progress, its amazing I ever built the Zip at all. Thats why I like the Zip, Malahini, Ski-King, or even just a little skiff. If you are a "builder" go for the Gentry. If you just like the Gentry the best, go for the Gentry. I love riding in Neel's. Just consider that the difference between a Zip/Malahini and a Gentry can be a fairly substantial difference in time and money. So pick what you really want and how you will use it and be realistic in your expectations of the amount of time its going to take. All that really matters is that you just get out there and build a boat! Whatever it is, youll love it.

seadog07

Postby seadog07 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:05 pm

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I took a look at the Malihini and it’s larger than the Zip but I guess the photos I have seen so far maybe don’t do it justice but to me the Zip has cleaner lines. I am 62 and even though I would like to tube all day I don’t see that happening. I would probably only be tubing when I am camped out with the boat along. So even though I mentioned the tubing, if I really wanted to do what I have done with my previous boats, I would build the Flats Flyer. I could fish and tube to my hearts content but it’s not a true classic wooden boat and lacks the charm of those models, especially when cruising.

So it’s a difficult choice, but I think maybe I should just build the Zip and hope for the best. If I do so, so I consider new power? 4 stroke or 2 stroke? Or an older classic motor?

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:42 pm

Older classic motor? Been there and felt that pain. No thank you. Old motors look great hanging on a wood boat but there is one problem....they suck. Best place is on the wall in a man cave. Cruise the forum and count up how many builders, me included, ditched their old motor for something newer and way more reliable.
The size of a tube is cumbersome, but I got around that by having a power supply on the boat for the inflator. Blow it up on the water.
I vote Zip or upsize to a Malahini. Good news is, who cares what I think, it’s your boat so do whatever you want. Never seen a Glen L boat I didn’t like or a builder I didn’t like.
Matt B

seadog07

Postby seadog07 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:30 am

If I go with the Zip, is it limited to 40hp?

And is a standard propeller best?

Or a 40hp jet drive?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:42 am

What about the Roustabout http://www.boatdesigns.com/17-Roustabou ... ducts/354/ ?

The prop is much more efficient than a jet, unless you will spend a lot of time in skinny water.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:52 am

Seadog, I am building the Geronimo. I too am retired, the plan for my boat is to take some trips with my wife to the northwest and BC, and mostly use in the bay and harbor here. I plan on pulling my grandkids around on float tubes etc and maybe they'll learn to ski. Also to go fishing in the kelp beds on the coast.
It should be done in a couple of months, just under 5 yrs and after my 70th. Had some medical issues etc. I too like the old classic motors but want the reliability of a new motor. I'm getting a new Evinrude E-tec 90.
I thought about the Roustabout but it was a little too big to build in the garage. I liked the looks of the Malahini but determined it wouldn't do as well in the waters I want to go in.
The Geronimo is somewhat homely looking because it is a stout boat - it has a high freeboard and wide beam, which is what you need in choppy waters. It has a lot of room inside. I did a lot of pour-in-place foam in case she gets poked by a rock. I'm really happy with the Geronimo. Bob
Attachments
IMG_0913.JPG
Bob

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:45 am

You are 6`2" ?

The zip might be a little tight for you depending on how you build it.

It`s not the easiest boat to get in and out of And I`m 5`10" 190lbs

Malahini would have been my choice had I the room at the time.

seadog07

Postby seadog07 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:01 pm

I’m 5’11” weigh 200 so it might be a little tight for me. I saw a couple at the Gathering but never tried to climb in one. The only Glen-l I’ve ridden in is Bill’s Tahoe to the lunch in 2015.

Return to “Power Boats”