Help with Boat Build choice?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: Help with Boat Build choice?

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Seadog

I did stretch the Tahoe. I made the engine compartment as short as I could and put as much room as I could in the cockpits.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:01 pm

The Zips have a lot of leg room. I can stretch my legs straight out. In the backseat knee room is limited so taller people need to ride up front. The only issue getting in and out is places to hold onto since the windshield is not a great thing to hold on to.

I would go with a new motor if the cost is not a factor. Or at least something from the last 20 years or so. On a Zip the new 40hp 4 stroke motors look gigantic and they are heavy. Also, post 1980 motors are rated at the prop so a new 35hp is probably equal to a old 40hp. I think the modern perfect size motor for the Zip is a new 30hp.

If you have seen the Zip and Malahini side by side then you know the size difference is substantial. It's worth considering if you have the room for it since it takes about the same time and money to build.

seadog07

Postby seadog07 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Yeah it’s hard to tell from pictures about the size comparison between the two. So I guess you are suggesting to go with the Malihini instead of the Zip. I am trying to look at photos of both individually but one of both of them in the water side by side would be great.

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:28 pm

seadog07 wrote:I’m 5’11” weigh 200 so it might be a little tight for me. I saw a couple at the Gathering but never tried to climb in one. The only Glen-l I’ve ridden in is Bill’s Tahoe to the lunch in 2015.

The Zip will provide plenty of room for you.

It looks like you may have ruled out the Gentry. That's fine... as long as you ruled it out due to the seating, and not because it looks too complicated to build. What you will find, I promise you, is that by the time you finish your "starter" boat you will realize that you could've built the boat you really wanted to begin with.

That being said, I would ask you this regarding the Zip vs the Malahini:

Do you want to pull a tuber or skier? Malahini.
Do you intend to regularly carry more than 2 people in the boat? Malahini.
Do you intend to use the boat primarily alone, with 1 other passenger & perhaps occasionally a 3rd? Zip.
Is the boat's "sex appeal" more important to you than practicality? Zip.

My "cliff notes" opinion on the two is that the Malahini is a superior boat all-around, but the Zip wins the "eye candy" contest. You might also want to look at the Audeen.

I have never ridden in Bill's Tahoe, but I have ridden in Butch's. Amazing, amazing boat. If you have the space & can afford the build... by all means, go for it.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

seadog07

Postby seadog07 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:39 pm

What about the Outrage? It has plenty of sex appeal for me, but appears to be a more modern looking boat versus the Classic wooden boats.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 pm

I’ve never seen an Outrage in person. Looks like a very versatile boat with a better ride than Zip or Malahini. It has a totally different look to it, more of a 60’s or 70’s style ski boat.

We’re kind of all over the map on which boat to build and only you can answer that. After building a Squirt, a Malahini and now working on a Barrelback, I would suggest building plans beyond what you think you’re capable of and bigger than you think you’ll want. What looks giant in the garage shrinks when you get it wet.
Matt B

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:38 am

Seadog

You can always put a mahogany deck on the Outrage. I think it would look good.

Matt's right. The Bartender looks small in our marina.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

seadog07

Postby seadog07 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:13 pm

After careful scrutiny and looking at designs I think I’ve changed and settled on two to choose from.

So final thoughts from the forum.

Outrage or Stilletto.

I know they don’t have the classic wood boat look but I’ve always been a speed demon and live in that realm.

kens

Postby kens » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:30 am

Those type of design look really good with a painted hull, and planked decks. Classic look from the transition period from wood to fiberglass era.
If you want a speedy boat, pull a tuber kid, and some fishing, those will do the trick.
Be sure to post lots of pics.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Power Boats”