Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Pawel

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Post by Pawel »

Beautiful Palm Beach. I'm thinking about building such a boat?

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Looking good, Neel! It's a great feeling watching your baby take shape. It sounds like you are being very thorough with setting the framework, which save you a ton of future work!

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Tom, Pawel, and Brad--- Thanks for the compliments

Over the weekend I glued all frames in place and additionally, used cleat blocks to secure the "main frames" to the stringers. I think the method for securing these originally was to drill 1/4" holes vertically through the frame and stringer and using threaded rod or long bolts to hold the frame in place. It didn't make much sense to me to drill 28 holes through the stringers, so I used the Glen-L method of securing frames in place. I still have to secure the transom. I also shaped and fitted the first of three keel laminations to the stem and back through all frame notches to the transom. For the next couple of days I will be working on the keel and transom. This picture looks very similar to the last batch, but many hours have been spent between then and now !!
Attachments
20180430_062924.jpg

jenko

Post by jenko »

Nice work Neel

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Amazing project Neel! Really beautiful framing... almost a shame to cover it up :D

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

Neel, you can tell me where you bought your plans. You have 2 versions which is better

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Thanks Jenko and Steve.......

Pawel-- I originally bought the plans here: http://www.classicwoodenboatplans.com/p ... on-zimmer/
The plans come in PDF format and allow you to take the computer file to have full size patterns printed. You would certainly need these plans to build this boat to today's standards. There are several discrepancies in the dimensions, so you really have to check everything and think through the whole process. The fellow in Austraila who sells these plans is not a boat builder and is not very helpful if you have questions. The other set of plans I bought was from The Wooden Boat Store. You can find them online. Those plans require lofting to get to full size. They do show some dimesions and angles not found on the other plans, so it is helpful to have both sets. Unless you have built a boat or boats in the past, I would stay away from this one. The Glen-L plans are so much better and they actually come with instructions, full size patterns, a materials list, and many construction drawings. So if this is your first boat build, I would try to find a suitable boat in the Glen-L catalog. Best of luck to you.

This morning I glued the first keel lamination in place. Yesterday afternoon I attached the transom assembly.
Attachments
20180501_095646.jpg

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

I was building a wooden kayak and canoe, I would like to raise the bar a little bit more. I saw projects GLEN-L Gentry 17 and Cracker Box 15. Palm Beach 22 is bigger and I like it more, so far I am gathering information before making decisions which I will build.
Thanks for advice

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Pawel,
Available from Glen-L in that size range are plans for the Belle Isle 23, Biscayne 22 and Tahoe 23. Have a look at those if you have not already.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

I saw, I am looking for a gentleman's runabout.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Pawel... I built a Gentry first... I stretched it to about 19'. It's a great boat and performs very well with a small block V8. By stretching the design, I was able to put a small cockpit forward of the engine that will seat two. Give that some thought.
Attachments
20160805_082731.jpg

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Not much to take pictures of at the moment. I have glued the second of three laminations on the keel and waiting for mahogany to finish that up. I ordered enough to do the keel, chines, and sheers along with enough batten material to do the sides. The main reason for this post is that I found a great little tool at HF. I have been doing some preliminary frame fairing on the bottom of the hull and angling many of the notches so they aim for the next frame. I found this "mini belt sander" for around $30 and it works great with the 80 grit belt. You have total control over this thing and the belt is only 1/2" wide. This is a great little tool for the arsenal !! I love it and would like to hear what others think about it.

Here is the link..... https://www.harborfreight.com/53-amp-12 ... 62863.html

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I bought one of those when I was doing my fairing. To things to keep in min with this tool. First, the padding that runs under the belt came off after a very short time. Secondly, this ca remove a lot of material very quickly so be careful.

The tool is loud so wear hearing protection.It's also useful for those areas that need sanding that you can't get any other way.

Although some of the stuff from Harbor Freight is junk, if you shop there with an open mind, and open eyes, and carefully consider what you're buying the tool for, it can be a fortune saver. I get all of my nitrile gloves and clamps there. The little blue sliding clamps for $3.00 apiece just can't be beat when you consider similar clamps elsewhere go for $15.00 . I bought all my clamps there and have used the heck out of them.

Don't bother with the sliding clamps that have the trigger handle for tightening however, the handles break very easily.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

The place where I buy my mahogany is really busy and my latest order won't be ready until next week. So I have been doing some initial fairing of the bottom frames. The most time was spent fairing the two transom bottom members. I had to take a good bit off to make them flow properly into the forward frames. If I didn't do this, the bottom would have had a "hook" at the aft 8" of the bottom. Now there is no hook and the bottom is straight at each station back to the transom. I also had to notch the transom for battens and chines. The wood I ordered will give me the third and last lamination of the keel, both chines, and both sheers. That should keep me busy.

As a side note, I have registered my boat in the Antique and Classic Boat Show in Clayton, NY (Thousand Islands). The show is 8/3 to 8/5. I will be going up on 8/2. I went to this show two years ago and it was excellent. Anyone interested? I have information on the show as well as lodging.
Attachments
20180511_164129.jpg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Neel,
Fine looking framework you’ve got there.
Matt B

Return to “Power Boats”