Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Daryl

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Post by Daryl » Mon May 27, 2019 6:20 pm

Hi all,
I couldn’t agree more, a little extra power never hurts. Especially when it’s reliable and consistent.
Attachments
Cnc cutting
Cnc cutting
Cnc cutting
Cnc cutting
Cnc cutting
Cnc cutting

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Tue May 28, 2019 2:10 am

I couldn’t agree more Ken, a little extra HP never hurt anyone, especially when it’s solid reliable consistent HP that comes from the Volvo Penta. Neel I will pm you and post some pictures in the near future, I need to get a few more posts up before I can access these features on this site.

kens

Post by kens » Tue May 28, 2019 2:25 pm

By looking at Neel's build, it has more frames, more battens, and heavier scantlings than some of the Glen-L designs that have a big block in them.
That is what I was really alluding to.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:23 am

Some may remember my good friend Glenn from Lancaster, PA. He passed away about a year ago and was building a Gentry at the time of his passing. He was a perfectionist and had built a vacuum system for vacuum bagging planking on the hull. I know he built the pump from plans he got on the internet. He gave it to me when he realized he was not going to finish his build. I know he tested it, and I also know it is built exactly to the plans as that's how he did things..... He never used it and neither have I, so it's still new with a little sawdust on it from my workshop. I don't plan on vacuum bagging, so I would like to see it go to someone here on the Glen-L forum. I don't want any money for it. I just want it to go to a good home and be used in building a boat. It is pretty heavy, so shipping would be expensive. I would be happy to take it to the Gathering in September or it could be picked up here in the Philadelphia area. Just send me a PM if interested.... Thanks,,, Neel
Attachments
20190708_110619.jpg
20190708_110610.jpg
20190708_110558.jpg

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:25 am

More pictures
Attachments
20190708_110646.jpg
20190708_110707.jpg
20190708_110736.jpg

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:38 am

PM Sent
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:54 am

That looks like an oil filled vacuum pump. Just make sure to put the pump outside of your work area, since it may put out a fine vapor of oil that may spoil later finishes and epoxy.

Nice set up, I'd be interested but it will be a while before my next build.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:27 am

I built a similar vacuum pump, though mine works off a venturi instead the moving parts pump. Having the pump along with a large heavy vinyl vacuum bag was absolutely indispensable in construction of the interior of my boat where I had numerous curved surfaces constructed out of veneered bent plywood laminations.

Building the pump will run you several hundred dollars so this is quite a generous gift from Neel. I sure hope it goes to someone who will make things with it that make Glenn smile from the heavens above.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:02 pm

Sending the pump to mrintense in Texas tomorrow. He knows how to do the bagging process and should make good use of it. My buddy Glenn would be very happy to know Carl will be using it in his build...…

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:02 pm

I wanted to thank Neel for this generous offer. This vac pump will be very useful when I get started making my helm. Thanks Neel, this is why I like this forum so much.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:47 am

This is not easy, but I must stop my PB22 build. Recently my wife and I bought a home In Punta Gorda, FL. We (mainly she) have decided to downsize our house here in PA. I simply won't have room to finish the build. We will most likely be buying a townhouse or small single with a small garage and maybe no basement. Right now the hull has two layers of 6mm Okoume plywood on the bottom and one layer on the sides and transom. I have enough plywood to get the second layer on the sides/transom and the third on the bottom up to where the mahogany planking will start toward the bow. I also have enough 1/8" mahogany planking left over from my past build to do the inside of the cockpit and maybe the engine room. I also have some other mahogany which could be resawn for side planking. I plan to keep working on the sides until someone takes over for me. I have more than $6K in the project so far and I would be willing to part with it for $5K if someone here on the forum would be interested. The hull is strong enough to flip and be loaded on a trailer (with the building form/dolly attached) for transport. It may also be possible for me to borrow a trailer and take it to the Gathering if that would help out. Please send a PM if interested. Thanks,,, Neel
Attachments
20181129_140349.jpg
20181127_092158.jpg

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Sorry to hear that you are stopping your PB22 build. I have enjoyed watching your progress on your build. You have set a high standard for all of us to follow. I will miss not seeing your postings.
Jim

P.S. My wife is talking to moving to a del webb retirement community. Ain't no boat building being done there.
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:57 pm

neel thompson wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:47 am
This is not easy, but I must stop my PB22 build.
Neel I am sorry to hear that, your build was going great and was a source of inspiration! I hope someone picks up where you left off. 2 boat projects are just enough for me at this time :)
mrintense wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:02 pm
I wanted to thank Neel for this generous offer. This vac pump will be very useful when I get started making my helm. Thanks Neel, this is why I like this forum so much.
That is super cool of you Neel to pass on the pump!

Carl - I built a similar one but with a different vacuum pump.

The plans are from Joe Woodworker and I love it!! I thought if you immediately when Neel posted it. I recommend that you get a Polyurethane Bag and breather mesh from Joe woodworker. its a game changer.

That HF Freight pump has oil and you have to be very careful that it 1. does not get into the air (hurts you I hear) and 2. Does not foul the wood in the bag causing finishing issues. It may be too late for this but It my be better to ship it to you without the pump and replace it with a oilless pump. IMO.

From https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering ... -pumps.htm
Oil bath pumps are less noisy than piston pumps but not as quiet as diaphragm pumps. This type of pump has a tendency to emit a plume of oil into the air. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to contain the oil smoke. For most users, this can be a huge issue that causes problems with the finish that is applied to the veneered project or any other unfinished project in the vicinity of the pump. This type of pump requires occasional oil changes and can draw a large amount of amperage. Usually, these pumps range from 3 to 6 CFM.
It is good that Glenn used ASTM D 1785 solid core pipe for the reservoir since this is under vacuum. That was a critical item in the plans.
Attachments
My Vacuum pump
My Vacuum pump
bag.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:41 am

Neel,

Could you not rent a storage unit and complete the build? It would be really nice for you to have this completed boat in Florida. Just saying it’s sad to see you give up on such a beautiful boat.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:22 am

Thanks for the compliments everyone.... I guess if I can't find a good home for it, I may have to find a place to finish the build. Time will tell !!

Return to “Power Boats”