Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:40 pm

What a great description of your process, Neel. Lee--if you're choosing products that we offer (which we appreciate), the Poxy-Shield would be better because you can control the thickness depending on the amount of filler you add. The Poxy Grip is pretty darn thick and is harder to spread over larger surfaces.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:48 pm

I think most boat builders on the forum use Poxy-Shield and order it through Glen-L. I use West System products only because they are available to me locally and I buy them at a discount through a friend in the boat repair business. So years ago I started with WS and have never changed. I'm sure Poxy-Shield is as good or better than WS. One of these days I may switch just to see the difference.....

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:30 pm

I've used Poxy Shield thickened for all my structural work. The only time I used Poxy Grip was for the transom veneers because I was concerned about being able to mix up enough thickened epoxy for each session without tit going off first in the heat.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:13 pm

I appreciate the feedback guys :D

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:51 pm

Gayle,

I get all of my epoxy (poxy grip and poxy shield) from glen-l :) and thank you for the thoughts about using poxy shield for the cold molding. I like that idea much better than trying to spread poxy grip.

Sorry Neel for hijacking your thread :oops:

Lee

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:00 am

I have posted this before, but I think some may be interested. There is a guy in Michigan (Brandon Townsend) who restores wood boats. He has made many videos which he sells for around $20. In the past I have bought one on staining and varnishing which was excellent. I recently purchased one on how to fair the hull. It is really good with a lot of tips and explanations of the tools he uses including various sanding blocks, sandpaper grits and techniques. I plan to watch this many times. He has some "teaser videos" on YouTube to get your attention. I think his YouTube is "Brandotown". anyway, here is a link to his website: www.townsendboatworks.com/

kens

Post by kens » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:05 pm

Well, I went to his website, and clicked on his video (youtube), it was worthless,
just awful. I'm sorry for that.
He spent 3/4 of the video just talking, then the last bit was after the work was done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVO2WFSEpx8&t=20s
he contributed nothing to actually achieving the work.
Sorry.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:09 am

The videos he has on YouTube are just short clips of the actual video he sells on his website. The one I recently purchased on fairing the hull is over an hour long and is very informative.

kens

Post by kens » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:38 am

OH, it cost money?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:11 pm

Neel,

Thank you for the Brandon Townsend info. I will definitely check this out.

Back in November, I asked you what epoxy you use for cold molding and you described what you do (thank you for that by the way). After coating both sides with non-thickened epoxy, do you thicken part of the same batch and apply the thickened epoxy to one side while the non-thickened epoxy is still wet or do you wait for it to cure before applying the thickened epoxy to one side? Please let me know. Thank you.

Lee

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:06 am

Lee, Yes I mix a batch of epoxy with hardener, coat both sides, thicken the same batch, apply to one side, and stick it together. If I run short with the thickened stuff, I put more epoxy and hardener into the same container, stir and then add more thickener. Then fill holes, gaps, seams, etc. with whatever is left over. I strive for "zero waste"...Hope that helps... Neel

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:57 am

Neel,
Keep licking and sticking those planks!
Mixing just the right amount of material is an art, I too don’t like wasting glue. I keep two products handy, Poxy Grip and SilverTip. Poxy Grip is very forgiving when mixing, I use the 1 glob to 1 glob ratio and never had a problem curing. SilverTip for encapsulating, nice and thin, easy to mix with pumps Glen L sells.
Still standing by to finish that beauty if your life plans change.
Matt B

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:50 am

Thanks Matt... Almost finished with the second and final layer of Okoume cold molding. We are heading to Florida tomorrow for two months, so the PB is on temporary hold. I will be keeping warm and putting around in that "Damn Plastic Boat" for a while.
Attachments
20191007_103206.jpg

riplash

Post by riplash » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:03 pm

Hello Neel,

What part of Florida are you staying around? For the past month it has been Rainy, and windy as hell here in Melbourne, Florida. So that has been putting a damper on using my plastic boat. Almost every day there is a small craft advisory. The crappy weather has allowed me to finish the place where I will be building the Calypso. This picture was taken Thankgiving. Marta is holding Frame Number 1 at the transom, and the folding chair is where the nose will be.

Cheers,
Ryan
Attachments
20191128_153205.jpg

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:13 am

Ryan…. We are across the state from you in Punta Gorda. Keep those pictures coming of your Calypso build and best of luck to you as your pile of sawdust grows... Neel

Return to “Power Boats”