Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Daryl

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Post by Daryl »

Clamp blocks, I made up Around 50 of them.
Attachments
833ACAA3-0ADC-4CF6-BC49-93931537CFA4.jpeg
EFD223D2-451C-4C94-A00B-2B04ADC208A5.jpeg

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Thanks Daryl.... Good idea... There has been a lot of discussion here on the forum about the Raptor stapler and brad nailer. I have had, and used both for many years and not a fan of either. I do use them for certain things, but not for mahogany planking.. I'm happy to hear you are having good success with the brad nailer. Maybe they have fixed the problems.

Gayle... Yes, you have the correct address. Every piece of mahogany for "Scooter" came from there. She did say something to me once that they also deliver. I am close enough that I never had to consider delivery.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Where I want to use mahogany as opposed to sapele, or if I need pieces custom cut, I have used Starke Lumber. Very nice and easy to work with.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Yes mate, I am also aware of the issues with the raptors. This particular gun is an Italian item which works a lot better in my opinion.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I have finished planking the bottom and transom. I have started to shape and fit the first row along the sheer on both sides. I like to start at the sheer and work my way up to the chine. Before gluing a row in place, I roughly shape the next row above it, allowing extra wood for final fitting top and bottom. Then I slide that row in under the clamped row below it and draw a line. Then I go to my sanding station and sand to the pencil line on the bottom of the plank. Then I do final fitting with the sander and planes. After getting a nice joint, I mark the top and sand to that line. Then I keep repeating the steps. I have a Home Depot Rigid oscillating sanding station that I swear by. Using 80 grit paper on the belt, I can accurately sand to a thin pencil line. I set up a 6' folding table on each side of the sander for sanding long planks. There are many ways to scribe and plank these boats, but I have had good results doing it this way.

I will miss seeing everyone this year at the Gathering, but I will be there next year for sure.....

Neel
Attachments
20200910_092930.jpg
20200910_092947.jpg
20200910_093003.jpg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Great techniques, there’s nothing fast or easy about getting those planks on with clean lines. Nice work.

This will probably be the year it rains all week at the Gathering, see you in 2021.
Matt B

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Matt.....It is a slow process for sure but. for some reason, I really enjoy working with mahogany rather than plywood. When I built my Gentry, I planked it with 1/8" material. I am now working with 1/4' material which doubles the degree of difficulty. I have stretched the limit of my imagination in coming up with alternative ways to clamp the planks in areas where there are compound curves. In those areas the staples won't hold the thicker boards in place. The most challenging areas are the bottom around the bow and the first two rows of side planking at the bow (going up from the sheer). The bottom is finished and the side planking at the bow area seems not to be as bad as I anticipated. See you next September and requesting a ride in the BB..

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

1/4” is going to argue with you at the bow. I used 3/16” for my planking and had to drive steel screws in some places to hold while the glue dried. You’ll get there.
Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Beautiful work as always Neel. I sure am glad you decided to keep building the boat.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Looks really good!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Thanks Matt, Carl, and Jim,,,, Using quarter inch planking sure makes the process very challenging. I did manage to get the first row on both sides (I started at the sheer). Very slow going to get it right, but enjoyable non the less..... Neel

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I have glued the first layer on both sides and have been working on the second. There are three planks on that layer. On the starboard side, I have glued one and fitted the other two. On the port side I have fitted the plank at the bow and am working on fine tuning the second and third plank. Each row is a little easier than the one before as the compound curves ease, and are less severe. To get really nice joints along the planks and at the end joints, it takes lots of time. A little off here and a little off there until things look tight. Actually I would much rather be in Tennessee !!
Attachments
20200917_100021.jpg
20200917_100011.jpg
20200917_095939.jpg

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Looking good Neel :)

Lee

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks, Neel. Maybe I'll veneer the next boat. We missed you and Craig this weekend!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”