Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Hercdrvr

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Post by Hercdrvr »

The journey marches on. Are you going to glass all the way to the sheer or stop at the waterline?
Matt B

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Matt I'm going to glass the bottom and up to the waterline. Sides will be stained and varnished, and varnished, and varnished.... You know the drill !!

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

The fourth row consists of four pieces, two on each side about 12' long. I have spent quite a bit of time fitting each board and today started attaching the pieces to the hull. As you can see from the picture, I have used every method I can think of when clamping. So one down and three to go on the fourth row. For those who will be at this stage of a build, take your time when fitting the planks. Take very small amounts off as necessary. I would say for the row I am working on now that I had each board temporarily attached at least ten times till I got it right. I also started over on one board after spending hours trying to get the near perfect fit. Patience, which I have very little of, is the key.
Attachments
20201202_143448.jpg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Get the Raptor nailer and fire at will.

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Neel,

With your 6mm thick planks, how hard has it been to get them to cup and conform to the curve across the width of the plank towards the transom? Your planks appear to be 4-5 inches wide like mine on my Monaco and it looks like your PB has a pretty good curve (barrelback) like my Monaco. I was wondering how hard this is going to be on my build with my roughly 5mm thick planks.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Lee, My planks are 5" in width and 6mm thick. They do conform to the rounded edges of the transom, but only with a lot of clamp pressure. If you look at the last picture, you can see the long vertical piece of mahogany at the transom. I clamp that to the sheer and to a block that I screwed into the bottom at the chine. Then I use shingle points (many) to stuff in between the plank and the hull side. I had a similar issue when installing cover boards on my Gentry. That bend was tighter than on the PB so I ended up making several relief saw cuts to about half the depth and up the board a few feet. You should be able to get the mahogany to conform. I seem to remember you are using 5mm, so it shouldn't be a problem. Please keep the pictures coming... Take Care,,, Neel

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Lee, Here is a picture of transom showing the curves of the side planking
Attachments
20201216_103726.jpg

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Neel,

Thank you for the information. I guess I will have to see how hard it will be to get the planks to conform. I wondered about making relief cuts if necessary so it is nice to know someone else did that :)

Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Thanks to Covid, I have been moving ahead on the PB. I have the six pieces of planking for the fifth row fitted and ready to be attached to the hull. The first four rows have been sanded to remove excess epoxy and the seams have been filled where necessary. We are heading to Florida on 12/26 so things will be put on hold till March. Hoping everyone stays safe and healthy..... Neel
Attachments
20201218_153326.jpg
20201218_153343.jpg

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Neel,

That is looking great. Your seams look nice and tight and clean. I might actually catch up to you on my Monaco build while you are in Florida :) Is your final planking layer genuine mahogany?

Lee

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I have used African Mahogany for everything. There is a custom millwork company fairly close to me that stocks large quantities of the African Mahogany. they mill it to my specs and can do just about any width or length. It is always planed and sanded on both faces and very uniform in thickness. The other nice thing is their prices are reasonable.

kens

Post by kens »

what the current price board foot Mahogany?
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Not sure what the BF price is. I bought 38 pieces that are 11" wide X 12' long X 1/4" thick. Finished all four sides for I think $2100.00. I think I have used less than half of it on the hull, so plenty left for later.
Attachments
20200827_151847.jpg

kens

Post by kens »

geez, thats a good price for that much milling.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

We made it back to Pennsylvania on Monday after a great two months in Punta Gorda, Florida. So I reclaimed the garage and started working on the planking on the Palm Beach. I have started to fit planks on the sixth (last) row. I should have it all planked sometime next week (sorry Lee). Then for some serious sanding. The Gathering seems to be shaping up nicely. Thanks again to all who made this happen at the new location. Can't wait, even though I will be cruising the Tennessee River in that "Damn Plastic Boat" again !!
Attachments
20210304_140224.jpg

Return to “Power Boats”