Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Steven r

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Postby Steven r » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:08 pm

Neel,
Do they give offsets so you can loft it? I think you can get over it being intermediate frame. This is not good.
Steve.

TomB

Postby TomB » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Neel,

Too bad you about Kinkos slowing you down. I was hoping to see photos of the flip next week. :D :D A 1/4"...did the frame maybe flip to the other side of the station line?

Tom

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:19 am

Steve... No offsets for lofting.

All but one frame is doubled on the bottom piece. Kind of like a floor timber gusset, but running chine to chine. These pieces have two notches cut in them so they will "notch" over the stringers. The inside dimension between the stringers is 25 1/4", so the notches are exactly that far apart. On this one plan sheet with the doubled piece for frame 3, the distance between notches is 25 1/2". So something is not quite right. Also the distance between chines is off by 1/4" on each side of centerline. Anyway, I have it all under control. The only problem is when I go to set everything up on the building form, the notches for frame 3 may not be the right depth. That should be an easy fix when the time comes. I think I could have a similar problem with frame 9, but won't know until I start setting everything up where it belongs.

I did measure my garage and could do a sight stretch of around seven inches but it would be tight working conditions on the transom end. Still up for consideration. I may try to make a sliding building form that would be bolted to the floor until the hull sides and bottom have been cold molded. Then I would unbolt it to make it slide some out of the garage door. More to think about.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:53 am

Neel,

Something to add to your thinking. As you know, I shoehorned my Vera Cruise hull into my garage with approximately 1" to spare at the bow and about 3" to spare at the transom. I placed it bow in with the transom at the garage door. This made it much easier to work on the transom and later to get into the boat when the garage door is open. The converse side of this was that I struggled with the bow end and could never satisfactorily sight down the length of the boat from the bow. I also had to pre-steam bend the sheers before installing them. Getting the chines bent down wasn't too bad. Fastening the very bow skins was a challenge, but I managed with the aid of an angled drill and angled pneumatic socket wrench.

If I were to do it over again, I would still park it bow in as some of the transom end work would have been impossible with the room available in the back of the garage. But consider the trade offs and if you can work out a plan to mitigate them, then you might be okay.

One additional factor in my case. I was hampered by the lack of space on one side of the hull (and still am) because of the need to leave room in the garage for tools and a workbench.

The idea of a sliding platform seems to be a solution, but I cannot say for sure it doesn't come with it's own drawbacks. Good luck. I am sure that the boat will be beautiful regardless.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Steven r

Postby Steven r » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:36 am

Neel,
You said this was not a easy build, but I am not surprised. There is ways to to get over the issue but what next? :lol: It's just more work.
Steve.

kens

Postby kens » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 am

Sounds like you need to lengthen the garage first !! :lol:
Every man needs a bigger man-cave, right??
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:17 am

Neel

What if you took the sheetrock off the end wall? That's thinking outside the boat!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:29 pm

I have also thought of building a temporary extension to the garage. So with the garage door open, I could go out say 4' into the driveway and build something that wouldn't look too bad out of T-111 or something. I could even paint it to match the house. The only issue there is that the garage is heated and air conditioned so anything I would build would have to be somewhat insulated. Also there is a real A HOLE living across the street from me who may not like my "garage extension" idea. I have time to think about this one !!

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:19 am

I have almost finished making router patterns for all nine frames and nine mid frames. Many pieces !! Now I will attempt to build something that looks like the transom in the picture. I have all of the mahogany needed. Wish me luck.... Neel
Attachments
ATT_1471107763382_20160704_134430.jpg

Steven r

Postby Steven r » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:40 am

Neel,
Good luck! Neel can you post a pic of intermediate frame please? For future reference. Looks like sea trials at xmas :lol:
Steve.

TomB

Postby TomB » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:41 am

Neel,

That’s an interesting transom. It will be light weight, strong, and challenging. I would need luck, you’ve got this.

I hope you post progress photos your methods for transom jointery. Here are some examples of questions prompted by the transom photo.

The top member appears to be sawed to the camber of the deck and the camber of the transom. How will you tackle it?

Will to bottom member be built to a “water line” and then be fared to the keel? Is it a larger piece than shown so the bottom battens have a place to land?

How will you let the water out of the area between the knees?

Are the sprung battens let into the vertical members? How will you cut the notches?

Looking forward to your next post,

Tom

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:41 am

Draining between the knees... I would either drill a drain hole through the sides or just fill the space in.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:53 am

I took a few pictures of the 3D photo of the boat that came with the plan pdf files. I think I will fill in between the transom knees so no water can get in there. The top of the transom curves from port to starboard as well as top to bottom. There are two templates for this included with the plans. The side pieces are more of a challenge, but I was able to use a CAD program to figure the radius of each of the curves. Cut one on the band saw and sand the other one to the proper shape. It looks like the bottom transom member will be notched for battens, but won't know for sure until I start the assembly process. Again, this build has no instructions with it and the drawings leave me with many questions. Figuring it all out is part of the joy of boat building. I will post pictures as the transom build goes along.
Attachments
20171110_104103.jpg
20171110_104025.jpg
20171110_103537.jpg

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:12 am

Amazing lines! Really looking forward to following this build :D ...
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 am

Thanks for keeping us all updated on your build, Neel. There's much to be learned from this and I find it interesting to hear about the plans and how they compare to ours. Many request our plans in PDF but I don't think they realize the cost of printing is quite high. I look forward to keeping up with your build. Love the rumble seat too!

Return to “Power Boats”