Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

neel thompson

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Post by neel thompson » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Footer, Tom, and Matt.... Thanks for the comments. I really like being able to move this thing around and highly recommend this type of dolly/mobile building form. After I flip it over, I will be using the same dolly to set the boat on. My rigid hitch arrangement didn't work quite as planned with my tractor attached to it. I was able to pull it out of the garage using the tractor, but about every two feet, I had to straighten out the ass end of boat. It wanted to drift sideways as I pulled. It is a two-person job to guide it in and out of the garage (one on the tractor, and one steering the stern). Even so, being able to move it out and in is a great thing.....As a side note, I had forgotten how much I dislike sanding. YUK !

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:08 am

neel thompson wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:41 pm
As a side note, I had forgotten how much I dislike sanding. YUK !

It’s a great time of year to sand outside cuz the sawdust will blend with the leaves. :D

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:14 am

Man oh man Neel, such a beautiful hull. I can't wait to see what you end up doing with it. Look fabulous so far! :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:46 pm

These pictures are after about eight hours of sanding with my six inch RO sander with 40 grit paper. It would be good enough to move on to the next layer, but first I am going to fill a few seams and screw holes and use some fairing compound in a few places to get it as close to perfect as I can. I will then sand it again using 60 or 80 grit and then move on to the next step. One of the pictures shows the hitch set up with my tractor. It really works well with someone helping out on the transom end to keep it going straight. Pretty simple process.
Attachments
20181129_140333.jpg
20181129_140349.jpg
20181129_140745.jpg

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:20 pm

Looks great Neel. I especially like your homemade pushback tug.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:16 pm

Neel,

Beautiful work--it's fun seeing your progress.

Sorry to hear about the Raptor products not being efficient for your build. I just got a call from a Riviera builder who mentioned that the Raptor composite fastenings were invaluable to his build, once he got the PSI dialed in. He also mentioned that he didn't know we offer them on our site--I guess we're falling down on the job: https://www.boatdesigns.com/Raptorreg-F ... ducts/926/

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:17 am

Thanks for the compliment Gayle.... It would be very helpful if the Riviera builder would provide the air pressures he uses for the stapler and brad nailer. When the staples go in without jamming, they are great. But when they jam, you are out of service for about 5 minutes. I am using the 1/2" staples and going through 1/4" Okoume plywood into mahogany battens. It could be that the mahogany is too tough for the staples to penetrate. Sometimes I can put in 50 or so without a jam and other times less than 10. They do work, it is just frustrating. I have tried many different air pressures for the brad nailer and cannot get consistency on the depth. Sometimes they countersink, leaving a pretty big hole, and sometimes they stay proud. I do use both guns, but I am aware of their limitations. Consistency is the problem.... I hope someday there will be a solution.....Maybe Raptor could do a video showing us how to adjust air pressures for various woods and include other suggestions to help with consistency.... Neel

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:13 am

Hi Neel,
Good tug system for your build. I’m taking notes how you get things done with your brain instead of your back.

Raptor nailer...a quirky tool but I finally made friends with it.
The bar that drives the plastic nail would get stuck before it retracted all the way. Start of day it would take several disassemblies to oil the drive bar on Both sides. Call it a mother this and a gosh darn that and it would work ok the rest of the day.
Matt B

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:27 pm

I've got a request in to Raptor about this issue. I'll let you know what I find out...

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:33 pm

Matt

I think you're wrong! Gayle told us that that was not Gosh Darn. It's "Hecky Darn"!

John said that wasn't always what she says. :|

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:33 am

I had issues at times with the Raptor staples jamming. Mostly I think it was because I may not have been square in the surface and not holding the head down tight enough. Sometimes I think it just may be a harder spot in the wood. Mostly the stapler is a Godsend. I like to set them a little proud and clip the backs off with a sharp chisel to avoid having to sand them off. Way faster. I think I mainly used 90 psi. Been too long! :lol:

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:58 am

Agree, Raptor is a valuable tool for unique task.
Matt B

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:59 am

Hi Neel,
I used acound 90+ lbs with my raptor stapler. Make sure the feed is clean and well lubricated and the path where the staple is hit with the hammer to the exit. When I first started using the stapler, epoxy got into the stapler path and caused jams or no feeds. I had to take the front plate off to thoroughly clean. From then on before using, I put air tool oil into the slot where the staple came out and tried to keep as clean as possible. After a session of using the stapler I also put air tool oil into the slot for the next time.
Worked fine after that.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:13 am

I think I had the air pressure at 90+, but I think you are onto something Roberta. I have noticed that is does jam more often when the head of the stapler is not flush on the surface being stapled. Also I have not oiled it as Jim suggests... I will give that a try. Thanks

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:31 pm

I have started gluing on the second layer of plywood planking. I think I will use the pneumatic stapler and staple through a rope to put this layer on. That way I should have very little sanding to do before the mahogany planking goes on. I only have enough Okoume to go about half way up the bottom. So I have to decide if I am going to buy more now or wait till I get home from Florida in March.
Attachments
20181208_141849.jpg

Return to “Power Boats”