Propeller Shaft Strut Angle.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Gary S.

Propeller Shaft Strut Angle.

Postby Gary S. » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:52 am

Since Glen-L has taken over Ken Hankinson's Boat Plans I'm hoping someone can answer this question. I'm new to inboards. I'm building Ken's 19' Barrelback (Replica of 1939 Chris Craft). The plans call for a shaft that has an approximate 18 degree entrance angle with the bottom of the boat. I have a 16 degree strut. Is the 16 degree angle approximate enough or will the 16 degree strut push the engine too far forward?
Gary S.
Olympia, WA

bronk

Postby bronk » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:03 pm

You can alwasy shim / bed the strut at a 2 degreee angle to make up the difference.
It is really very simple to do
Get everything lined up (engine in place), shaft on, strut placed and mounting holes drilled. If there is really a 2 degree error, you cna do several things:
Plane / shave the plywood to matcht the angle and use a solid shim
Make up a thickened batch of epoxy to bed the strut.

Spread the epoxy pull the strut up with the mounting bolts (wax / grease the threads). Clean up the sqeeze out and then put massking tape around to act as a dam (so it does not flow out). Come back in a few hours or in the morning and trim up with a gouge or rat-tail rasp(while still not completely hard).
Mark Bronkalla
www.bronkalla.com - 50 mph furniture

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:00 pm

Mark,

Some of the post disappeared. But, your solution for 2 degrees is great. I see you had a few miracle recoveries yourself.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Gary S.

Postby Gary S. » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Mark,

Thanks for your input. I cut a 2 degree wood shim and shaped the face against the slight V bottom at this location. It came out perfect for the 18 degrees recommended. I've enjoyed reading your articles on boat building. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Gary S.
Gary S.

Olympia, WA

Bruce T.

Postby Bruce T. » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:52 pm

Gary, I'm sure the 2 degree shim will work fine but there is a distinct advantage to using thick epoxy as Mark describes. You calculated that you need 18 degrees but what if the perfect alignment is 17 1/2 degrees. If you install the shaft on the engine and install the strut on the shaft and then follow Mark's instructions to bed the strut in epoxy, you will have a PERFECT alignment which means that you won't have to do any further alignment at the shaft coupling on the transmission. This is the way I did it. I found that it took all the guessing out of the alignment problem.

Bruce.

Dwain the ski king

Postby Dwain the ski king » Thu May 10, 2007 10:48 pm

Ckeck out how I did my shaft hole.(customers photos). I think mine was in the vicinity of 14 degrees, but should have a 16....Made it fit anyway.... if you drill the hole like I did then you can set the motor in at the angle of the shaft instead of trying to hit the motor with the shaft.....I would send my adapter that I made for you to use when you are ready to drill. I live about a 100 miles away(Portland). It's a 1 inch shaft with a 1/2 " cut down on one end for drill motor to chuck to and the other end is bored to take a forstener bit (with set screws to hold the bit). It worked great, drilled the hole in 5 mins. with a 1/2" air drill...Look at the pics...Dwain, AKA the Ski King.........dbcolton@ccwebster.net or 503-631-7238....

Return to “Power Boats”