Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 3

dcarr1000

Starting the Monaco

Postby dcarr1000 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:24 am

I have just ordered the preliminary plans for the Monaco. This will my thrid wooden boat so I figured I would try something more challenging and more beautiful.
I have a few questions to those who have built/are building one:
Did you use lofting to acquire the hull shape?
What was the approx. cost of lumber?
Did you mill all the lumber yourself or is there some short cut out there - expanded plans, partial kits (especially for engine), etc.
What was the approx. cost of the engine assembly?

Thanks!
Thanks for viewing my post. Please answer me here or email a response or any info to dcarr1000@gmail.com. Happy building!

Lewis Barrett

Postby Lewis Barrett » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:48 pm

I'm building the Monaco and have really enjoyed the process. I built a few small hydro-planes when I was in high school, but this is my first real boat to build. So far I've bought the marine plywood from Boulter plywood and the mahogany from a place in Atlanta. I've used a medium duty 10" table saw, a top of the line Delta jig saw, belt sander, Delta drill and misc. other tools. The jig saw is a must imo.

As for the costs, I've spent somewhere around $ 4,000.00 and I haven't turned my hull yet. I planned on spending around $ 20,000.00 before I started. Like Bill Edmundson said, you can count on a grand in the trash.

The plans come with patterns so no lofting is required. The plans have been great and so far they have answered all my questions.

Hope this helps.

David

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:11 pm

I have thoroughly enjoyed the process of building the Monaco.

David and I are at about the same stage. (final layers of planking on the hull)

So far, I've had three loads of lumber. In rough numbers, call it $CDN 3000. (say, $2600). All of my lumber has been rough, so I have had to plane it (thickness it) myself.

As David said, the plans come with full-size patterns, so no lofting is required.

For the engine, I found a used Chris Craft engine and transmission that had been recently overhauled. I got it for $CAD1200. I haven't started it up yet, so don't know if it was a bargain or not.

Good luck with your build!
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:26 pm

I am not the Expert. But, look at the latest news letter. Barry asked me to contribute. We put together, pretty much, a step by step cold mold hull build.

This was my first. You can do it. :wink:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Flipper

Starting the Monaco

Postby Flipper » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:44 pm

Be thorough with cold-molding and it will be a success (imo). I see old seized Chris-Craft motors on Ebay for stupid prices. I found a C-C 327 rebuilt beautifully for $750. I don't think that is common, but don't rush it by buying the first "deal". Shop as you build so you can feel out the market. Open an account with Baersupply.com for 1/8" meranti plywood. I think orders over $100 have free shipping and I like the prices.
Flip
Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Power Boats”