Scooter build - fiberglass

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

tclark

Scooter build - fiberglass

Postby tclark » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:11 pm

I am currently planking the Scooter, so have a lot of work to do. Getting ahead of myself a bit but once I am finished planking and have all surfaces prepared for fiberglassing I am not sure of the proper order of things. For the transom drains, boat eyes, and other penetrating items, do I first finish and then drill to add items after finishing the glass or should I add the drains and eyes and fiberglass around them. Also, on the mortorboard, I will have a jackplate. Do I fiberglass the motorboard, then drill holes for the jackplate or the opposite.

I suspect the answer is to fiberglass first, but look forward to helpful suggestions.

PeterG

Re: Scooter build - fiberglass

Postby PeterG » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:54 pm

You should fiberglass first, then apply your finish (paint). Then install the through hull items and attachments as you like. Many here will seal the inside surfaces of the holes with epoxy prior to installing the items, to protect the wood from water. Not sure what part of the motorboard you're asking about, but you usually don't have to fiberglass the inboard side of the motorboard (inside the boat).
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Power Boats”