Is it okay to put the battery up front?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

lstyles

Is it okay to put the battery up front?

Postby lstyles » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:01 pm

Hi,
I am trying to balance out weight in my malahini. Was going to put the gas tank under the front passenger seat but it gets a little difficult. The battery weighs 46lbs and is much easier to position up front than the larger gas tank. I was thinking of putting it up under the deck on the passenger side. It will be lighter than the gas tank (with fuel) but being up more towards the bow it should have almost the same impact as moving the gas tank to the front passenger seat. What do you think?
thanks,
Lawry (short for Lawrence)

John K

Postby John K » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:22 am

Look under the category Miscellaneous. Theer is a discussion about doing this!

lstyles

Postby lstyles » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:37 am

HI,
I looked under Misc and found the one post but no replies. I searched under battery and couldnt find the post to which you are referring...the other posts seems to focus on two batteries. I am just trying to figure out if running the battery about 13 ft from the engine will be a problem. My cable isnt long enough so I guess I will have to get an extension or a longer cable?
thanks

basilkies

Postby basilkies » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:12 am

Bouncing causes the sulphate that builds up on the lead plates in the battery to break off. This shortens the batteries life.

The only real issue with a weight heavy stern, other than sinking, is the ability of the boat to get up on plane easily. This is less of an issue with flatter bottom boats and if you have good amount of horsepower pushing the boat.

My buddy has a 17 foot Boston Whaler that is moderately powered (70 horse). With three people in it, it balks about planing. We simply put one person up front and it goes on plane nicely. Then the person can move back, because once it is on plane it will hold the plane.

I'd say that your 45 lb battery is peanuts in the scheme of things. I'd be more worried about trailering issues. Having your gas tank in the rear means your tongue weight is going to vary significantly depending on whether the tank is full or empty. Light tongues cause trailers to swing wildly.

lstyles

Postby lstyles » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:47 am

That is a good point....I had considered the additional advantage of more balanced towing with the weight up front but didnt mention it. I would like to get some weight up front and it just seems like the battery would be easier than the gas tank. Fully full the gas tank (12 gallons) should weigh a max of 75-80 lbs. I may have to go back to the drawing board and figure out how to get that gas tank under the passenger seat.
thanks

WarrenW

Postby WarrenW » Thu May 17, 2007 10:38 am

What happened to the idea of putting the fuel tank under the seat? I think you were going to cut into the flooring under the seat to fit the whole tanks down in there. Did you decide against this? I was hoping to see how that went for you so I knew what to do when I got that far.

Warren
Building the Malahini
Soon to be named - It's a Bella

lstyles

Postby lstyles » Thu May 17, 2007 11:07 am

HI,
I considered lots of things...moving things here and there but finally decided to just go with gas tank in back on port side. The logistics just got too complicated and raising the seat caused other problems. I got a moeller 14 gallon tank . I will put the battery in the back too but over towards the middle. How is the build coming. I just cut out my back and front sub-deck but need to wait for steering wheel and gas tank to arrive before I can put them on. Flooring is cut out and now I need to epoxy it before installation. Next will come the ceiling boards and seats.
Lori

WarrenW

Postby WarrenW » Thu May 17, 2007 11:20 am

Mine got delayed alot due to finances. Then in some trading i aquired a 14' fiberglass boat and a Johnson 25hp. Next week I'm putting it in the paper to sell hoping to get atleast $1600 for it and will be ordering all my plywood and the fiberglass kit. So I should be able to move right along with that.

I've been looking through the forum and pictures more today. Guy Young's pictures under Customer Pictures looks great too.

Looking at all the pics and seeing where the driver sits, it seems your over half way forward for the weight. Do you think you could still be bow high some?

Warren
Building the Malahini

Soon to be named - It's a Bella

Return to “Power Boats”