Geronimo - progress and question

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

Geronimo - progress and question

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Howdy, I'm getting closer to the end on my Geronimo, was hoping to finish by my 70th in a few weeks but at least I'll be ready to put the motor in by then. Of course it will probably never be actually finished cause there'll always be stuff to do. Just touching up the paint screw ups seems to take forever.
I built the motorbox without even knowing what the gas tank would look like :( but I was able to fit in a Moeller 14gallon; I can fit in a couple of flat 5 gallon cans under the motorbox if I need to.
Tomorrow I'm going to install the two stern hooks, in the uppermost corners of the transom, and thought I'd ask you guys how you'd do it. I think they're 3/8". Should be a snug hole.
So if I pack the hole with thick epoxy, there'll be epoxy on the threads. And wouldn't that be a good "threadlock"? Or would you tape over the threads, then after cleaning the epoxy around the hole remove the tape and use a strong automotive threadlocker?
Or would you instead just use the 3M4000, for everything including seating the plates?
The idea is for the nuts to never come loose since they will not be accessible for tightening after the decking is installed.
Thanks, Bob
Attachments
IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG
Bob

JimmY

Re: Geronimo - progress and question

Postby JimmY » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Nice work so far. Your Geronimo looks great.

Looking through some posts, a lot of builders epoxy the hole, let it cure, and then use 4200 sealant when installing the bolt. On my bow eye, I filled the hole with epoxy, lathered up the bolt, and put it all together wet.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

TomB

Postby TomB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 am

The boat looks great! After bolts are epoxied in, you can still get them out with a drill or a Sawsall :D :D . So if you never, ever, plan on pulling the bolt go with epoxy. If you may have to remove them after something gets damaged, go for 4200. Epoxy encapsulating the drilled hole is a good idea too.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Looking great Bob!. I really like the blue on that design, makes it look perky! :D :D

I can't answer your question directly (not there yet), but I plan on filling with epoxy, re-drilling, and then using some sort of sealant.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:29 am

You'll want to seal the holes with epoxy after you drill them but you were probably going to do that anyways. I'm planning to bed mine in 4200 and use some blue threadlocker to keep them from coming loose. A mechanic friend of mine says just to put a thin line of it down the length of the threads. If you coat the threads completely he says it can be very difficult to remove in the future. It's probably not that likely that you'll ever need to replace them but you never know.

Return to “Power Boats”