stern drive

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

catman31503

stern drive

Postby catman31503 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:22 am

i went to a boat show recently and seen a 20 ft runabout made by cherubini i think. he used a stern drive. was nice and compact looking. i was wanting to know if the monaco or some of the simular classic designs sold would lend themselves to this type of set up. still trying to decide on which boat to choose, so many to choose from. thanks for your time. i have looked at many pictures you all have sent and they are all great and hope to call on you for help when i get started.......thanks again......freddie stevens

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:51 pm

:? I'm only familiar with Cherubini's sailboat designs (JC Sr. not JC II).

But, the classic inboards are not wide enough in the stern to shift the CG that far back. If you find a V-drive design, you can probably change to stern drive.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

J Patroni

Postby J Patroni » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:49 pm

You can go to this website to see this boat.

It is a 20 foot fiberglass rear seat outdrive design similar to the
GarWood 16' speedster.
If you don't build it now, You will regret it later! Already regreting it

Crackerbox Build
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee255/jtpatronimfg/

Checkmate Restoration
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee25 ... 0Starflite

J Patroni

Postby J Patroni » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:52 pm

Sorry, I forgot to post the web site address.

Here goes.

www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/cc20.htm
If you don't build it now, You will regret it later! Already regreting it

Crackerbox Build
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee255/jtpatronimfg/

Checkmate Restoration
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee25 ... 0Starflite

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:41 pm

Okay, stupid question:

What is all the alure with those things when the whole front two thirds of the boat is a waste of space ?? The motor is in the back right ???

Steve

I mean it seems to be kind of an envy thing or something...

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:54 pm

:oops: Didn't do my homework. Pretty boats. Still the designs here are not for the engine that far back. I want to look more at the C site.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:15 am

leakcheck wrote: What is all the alure with those things when the whole front two thirds of the boat is a waste of space ?? The motor is in the back right?...

I believe it's an attempt to design something of a Gentleman's Racer while being able to use modern drive systems. If you had any kind of idea that you'd be cranking out larger numbers of units, production would be greatly simplified by being able to drop in the engine/drive system all in one unit. Note too, that this is a 6 cylinder 2-stroke outboard STYLE engine with a jet drive on it. That would make for a very small package for the power intended .... 240hp.

The only other reason I could see is that the darn thing is such a pleasure to look at that folks might buy it based purely on charm. You gotta admit, it's darn gorgeous!

While typing this post, I had a funny thought. One big advantage with fiberglass production boats is that they've always been able to squeeze tons of efficiency into the space available. I mean, there are cup holders molded in, places for coolers and ski storage, open bows for the kids, yada yada. Since wooden boats will always struggle in this one area, and I know that THIS boat is FRP, it has to give up all that advantage in order to get the "look." But this particular boat just flips the finger at it! HA HA!! So you gotta give this boat kudos for attitude.

Hey did anyone notice? These are 20 ft boats with BOW THRUSTERS!
Last edited by Dave Grason on Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:18 am

Hmmm, I donno....that Moloka'i 65 looks pretty inviting to me !!!

Steve

Caber_Feidh

Postby Caber_Feidh » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:08 pm

The boat on the webpage is definitely jet drive.
For some reason my boat was much faster before GPS came about

catman31503

thanks to everyone

Postby catman31503 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:29 pm

thanks to you all for your input. it was just such a fantastic boat. this one had a stern drive. i guess it was all the stainless trim and windsheild brackets. the price was over the top. but i guess people were buying some of them. i have not built a boat but i am looking forward to the fun and challenge. i hope to call on you all again. thanks very much .......Freddie.

Return to “Power Boats”