Glen-L Party Boat

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Gayle Brantuk

Glen-L Party Boat

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm not sure if many of you have even paid attention to our design called the "Party Boat". I've always thought that my dad's drawings of the boats he designed are particularly pleasing to the eye. However, not so with the Party Boat--for some reason, this one was a dog. And, I'm a dog lover. The line drawing just wasn't aesthetically pleasing and really wasn't a good representation of the design. I've always thought it would be nice to have a rendering done and came across one of our customers in Poland who does this type of work and offered to do it. So, he did a few of this design and wow--it's a super cool looking boat. I actually had to get out the plans to make sure that he didn't re-create it and his work is spot on.

Anyway, let me know what you all think. The line drawing is toward the bottom of the page after the renderings. I look forward to your feedback!
http://www.boatdesigns.com/20-6-22-Party-Boat-outboard-deck-boat/products/345/

Roberta

Re: Glen-L Party Boat

Postby Roberta » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:53 pm

That is really cool. Very reminiscent of the Skeeter Sweet Thing featured in Woody Boater. The 3D pictures sure bring out the appeal of the Party Boat. Well done!!

http://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2017/11 ... me-really/

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Actually, I would love to build this boat, now. But, time and sensitivity to epoxy don't make it possible. I need to finish and run what I have!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Its actually a pretty practical boat and really not bad looking. It looks pretty modern which is a departure from the Glen-L we expect. For me the reason I am willing to put a lot of work into building my own boat is that you cant just go buy a brand new boat that looks and functions like most of the classic glen-l wood runabout designs. However, this one is not a design that to me begs to be built out of wood. I am much less likely to put in the effort to build my own in this case but I would love to see someone build it just like the 3D image, it looks great but in this case it would look great in fiberglass and gel coat with some just wood veneer interior trim.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:10 pm

I think the drawings really show off the potential of this boat. It is very similar to a modern "deck boat". My friend has a Chaparral Deck boat and it is very practical. It is a cross between a speed boat and a pontoon. We've taken 8 adults down the river for dinner and drinks (or drinks and dinner?), and the next day had it out wake boarding.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:28 pm

This is a great way to generate interest in the design. And I would venture to say that if this could be done for the other designs (over a period of time of course), I think that the number of plans going out the door would jump. We'd see a lot more builders.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

kens

Postby kens » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:18 pm

The artist rendering makes the design look a whole lot more modern.
I agree the same idea might benefit all the other designs too.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Great renderings! At risk of being repetitive, I agree this same idea could benefit other designs too. Not to mention I just like looking at pictures of boats, even boat renderings :lol:
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:41 pm

Stunning renderings! Very realistic. This makes the true styling pop right out at you. Another great design from your dad gets it due notice. I can kinda see a bass boat version of this too.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:03 pm

The manner in which the artist rendered the finish give the boat pleasing lines and appeals to both a classic and a modern eye (provided some bright work is included).
Had the digital artist chosen to hang classic outboard of the stern, it would have had a much different visual effect as well.
I suspect you've already sold some of those plans based on the rendering.

Curious that the power isn't listed in HP anywhere that I could find.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Andy

The write-up says anywhere from 65 to 200 HP. I think 150 would really fit!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Wow, a rendering like this for every boat would likely spark some more interest! That's a cool boat.

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Thank you all for the feedback. It is similar to a Skeeter, Roberta! I added a Speed Chart to the page also. I think a rendering is nice, but not as good (imho) as a photo of an actual boat that someone has built. But, we do have a few designs that we don't have photos for, so that may be something we'll do. One concern I have with a rendering is that people may expect a more modern set of plans than what we provide which is why I also included the line drawing and noted that they are "artist renderings". Thanks again all--I really appreciate your comments...

Return to “Power Boats”