Windshield questions

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Jimbob

Windshield questions

Postby Jimbob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:03 am

I am getting ready to make my patterns for the windshield glass. Any suggestions as to how high, curve on top, etc. or any other tips on making the patterns.

I have some windshield brackets from classic boat connection (not chromed yet, so I can grind for a perfect fit to my deck, and make slight modifications). On my brackets, the groove for the glass is closed at the top of the brackets. I am thinking about grinding the groove out at the top so that the class comes straight out. Good idea? Pictures that I have of classic boats show the glass coming straight out of the brackets at the top before it curves. The picture below shows a bracket that looks like mine except for the glass groove. Notice the groove for the glass is open at the top.

Previous discussions on the forum suggest tempered class, still a good idea?

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Neeley
Attachments
Classic_Craft_Brackets__3_-crpd.jpg
Notice open grove at the top
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA

Bill Edmundson

Re: Windshield questions

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:19 am

Jim

Mine come straight out. I went 3" or 4" above the bracket on the Tahoe, see link below. I have 1/4" tempered glass. A flat rubber gasket wraps the edges at the brackets. I put soapy water on the gaskets then inserted into the bracket. When dry I trim the excess gasket with a razor blade.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Thanks Bill!
That really helps.
Jim
Jim Neeley

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:01 pm

Jim
With my Monaco my eye sight is level with the top of the screen. That works well to keep the front seat occupant out of the breeze.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 am

I would be careful about grinding the tops of the brackets off. Check to see of the angle of the brackets close up at the top between the center and the side brackets. If the angle is open at the top. The glass panel could slide up and out. I had a set of brackets that were closed on top on the Zip. What I did was make the pattern so I had "ears" on each end of the panel that would stick into the bracket and hold the panel in. You can make the ears stick into the brackets and still go higher than the tops of the brackets. I just ended the height at the tops, but easily could have had the panels go higher.

My Torpedo brackets did slant in and were not closed at the top so there was not issue.

Roberta
Attachments
windshield 003.JPG
final assembly 014.JPG
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks Roberta!
"I'm all ears" :lol: I was thinking about "ears" on my glass but wasn't sure how that would work out. Your pictures of the zip really helped me to see how it would look. I did some further research and found that the "pre-war chris craft runabouts had the closed top brackets, and the post-war runabouts had the open top brackets. Now I am thinking I will do what you did on your zip.
Jim
Jim Neeley

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:30 am

You're welcome. Have your glass cutter put a slight radius in the inside corners to relieve stress risers and leave a little room for heat expansion and gaskets.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Power Boats”